1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinion please? :)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by paulaviation, Jan 18, 2012.

1. paulaviation

paulaviation

Jun 3, 2011
  2. paulaviation

paulaviation

Jun 3, 2011
    Anything at all? :D

3. gleventhal

gleventhal

Nov 30, 2011
    Pretty cool, I am at work so I only could hear it through my computer speakers... It sounds like there is some heavy effect on the bass (envelope filter?) that is VERY present in the mix, and makes everything a little wobbly and psychedelic, but I am not saying that is a bad thing. The vocals are very dry in the mix, I would have probably done something like either add some reverb or boost the highs, or maybe even tried some distortion or a filter on the voice to make it a little more interesting. Musically it is pretty good though and it looks like you guys are having fun!

4. paulaviation

paulaviation

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks man! Yup, EHX Enigma with Bass Big Muff going through it. You can kinda hear the fuzz with headphones!

5. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    the music seems kinda cool but the vocals are way to dry for his voice and in some parts the vocals seem to far out front and should be pulled back in the mix a little......

6. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    The Jim Morrison wannabe on vox is creepy and sounds bad.

If it were me I'd:

Compress the vocals so they can be heard more consistently.
    EQ the vocals so they take up less space.
    Cut some lows in the drums to make room for the bass.
    Work on the high end of the drums to get some shimmer and attack.
    Find a nice mid range place for the guitar to sit.

In short, practical and measured use of compression along with frequency slotting.

How did you record? Hardware, software, methods...

7. Bass guy 666

Bass guy 666

Jan 1, 2012
    guys i have a question . i want to buy a new bass and im confused between Music Man Bongo 6 HH or conklin GTBD-7 with "Bill Dickens" Model Pickups . i love slapping a lot , tapping , chords .... help ?

8. colcifer

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Those are two very different basses. Also, this thread is a bad place to ask for help in regards to your problem. I suggest you start a thread in the 'Basses' subforum (Basses [BG] - TalkBass Forums) and ask there, providing pertinent details (current equipment, reason for wanting new equipment, etc.). Welcome to the forum!

9. paulaviation

paulaviation

Jun 3, 2011
    The drums and bass were done in an IT recording studio. The guitar and vox were done seperately in a makeshift studio. The bass was DIed into a mixing desk, each drum head had a mic, then into the mixer, not sure what was in between. I've no idea how the vox and guitar was done as I wasn't there for that. The whole thing was done on protools.

Do you think adding some kind of effect to the vocals would help? And yeah we're aware of the lack of consistency of the vocals, but the whole thing had to be done quickly for a college project.

10. colcifer

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Compression. Easy does it.

11. paulaviation

paulaviation

Jun 3, 2011
    Alright, thanks for the advice! :)