Opinions / feed back on a custom build.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlacknWhite, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Option 1

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Option 2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Hey guys I recently did a custom build. I had ongoing neck issues with a '78 musicman Stingray so I Gutted it and fit it into the body of an old P bass I had. I love the results. It sounds exactly like the Ray still but the body is smaller/ lighter and the neck is much more comfortable as well. Anyways I have acquired another MM pick up. I was originally going to build another but I got to thinking and was considering trying to fit it into this build in a 4HH kind of set up. So I had two ideas.

1) Wire it in with the current set up and just put a on off selector into the pick guard (The mustang style selector switch) and just have it on or off and volume controls both pickups.

2)Put in a stacked dual concentric volume pot to control the two pick ups individually... Would this work?

PS: Since that picture I have modded the pick guard a bit more and the pick up is closer to the bridge now as well. It's almost exact measurement from the original Ray it came out of.

This is the bass

20190403_212623.jpg

This is what I'm going for

medium.jpg

The switch for option 1

$_35.jpg

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

My opinion is that two pickup Rays never sound as good single pickup models. Thankfully, it is your bass. Given the options, I went with two.

BlacknWhite likes this.
  3. I've always liked the single pickup versions as well. I'm currently trying to get down to just using one bass and I was just thinking it could add a little extra for finger style. I figure worst case scenario I don't like it and just don't use the pickup or just pull it and put another pickguard on (which I have already).

4. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    What was the question again?

5. Wasn't really a question. Was more looking for feedback on the two options or if either would really work. I know the actual 4hh style bass's have the 5 way pick up selector switch and 18v vs the 12v pre amp I have in mine now.

6. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Option 1, I have a 4HH, its a great bass.
    Rock on.

7. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York

8. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    I know. It was my attempt at trying to be funny. Cause the description of what you were asking seemed long .sorry I can't offer any helpful opinion

9. Damn I thought it was short compared to most other threads lol. Sorry to bore you brother :laugh:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021