1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on a Rig for Gigging

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ztallison, Aug 11, 2012.

1. ztallison

ztallison

Apr 7, 2012
    Hello, everyone.

I saved up and bought myself a nice new bass. Well... new to me. She's a mid-80s MIJ Jazz Bass Special. I'm so used to playing on low quality instruments that the sound just about blew me away. Now I sound mediocre instead of bad. =P
    I'm in the process of purchasing some new hardware and electronics. I have settled on a Babicz bridge and Delano pickups. The pickups have massive pole pieces. There is one pole per string, rather than two like a standard J/P pickup. These pickups are supposed to lay down a crazy thick bass tone.

I'm moving from a small town to a city for college. I have already been offered a place in two gigging bands, but I only have a Fender Rumble 15 combo amp. I don't think that would be suited to anything other than a coffee shop set where I'm playing behind an acoustic or two.

Can anybody give me some suggestions on amps, cabs, etc.?
    I like a smooth, warm tone. I use fairly heavy flats and play with a pick. I can envision the sound I want, I just don't know what cabs I should use to have a strong low end without being overbearing. I won't be playing any big venues. Mostly bars and small outdoor festivals.
    As I mentioned, I'm heading off to college, so funds are fairly low at the moment. =P

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day.

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    It really depends how much money you want to spend.

I'd say a used gk 800rb or something along those lines along with a 115 cab would do you well. Generally speaking, higher priced cabs weigh less, but there is lots of serviceable older stuff out there. Check out your local craigslist and see what's for sale. You might want to even wait til you move to the city as your choices will be better.

3. Something with a decent DI, A matching pair of 2x10.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cool bass score. Keep the old parts in case you don't like the changes you make to your bass ;)

The standard first rig for someone to gig with that won't be too darn big or too darn expensive but will still get the job done is a 300w amp and a 410 or 215. That isn't to say you can't gig with less (or more), but until you're a little more familiar with your gigging requirements, it's a good safe starting point. 410's are more popular than 215's because they're smaller, but they move about equal amounts of air on the whole. And unless you play in bands where making the audience puke from volume overkill is a priority, it should be able to handle most gigs.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Don't take the pickups out of the Jazz Bass Special! Keep the stock ones in there, they sound awesome.

Grab a GK RB series head and a decent cab to go with it.

6. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    Instead of changing the bridge and pickups, put that money toward a good amp. As JimmyM suggested, 300 watt minimum head and a 410 or 215 cab would be a great starting point.

7. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Fenders work really well with GK amps period.

Older Eden amps have a nice 'tubey' warmth tothem, and also match up well with Fenders.

I also agree that you should try your Jazz through a decent amp before you mod it up. That bass should sound pretty hot like it is.

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

A couple of recommendations for GK have been posted here. I prefer their tone, and can tell you that I have found the 400RB to be sufficient for my level of gigging (local clubs). Most places have a PA anyway. I actually have two 400RB's, one I got "caveat emptor" for $75, and put another $75 into for repairs. It served me well for years, but is currently in the shop for cutting out. I bought another used one for $250, and intend to use the other (once repaired) as a backup. I think they're 200 watts (the new ones are 280W). Both of mine are older models, without the DI. Most clubs have a DI, but I have a Radial Bassbone on my pedalboard, so I don't worry about it. Still, just in case, you may want a newer model with the DI for gigging purposes. I use mine on a Carvin 4x10 and it sounds great!

9. ztallison

ztallison

Apr 7, 2012
    Thanks, everyone. =)

I will keep all of this in mind while I'm searching. I'm sure there will be a lot of options once I'm in the city. I don't normally have very good luck with CL around here, but I'll give that another shot. I found some decent deals on Ebay, but for something as big as a cab it was local pick up only nine times out of ten.

I'll definitely try a few new rigs before modding her. Modding is half of the fun for me. Something about having a bass that's slightly different than everyone else's just provokes me into spending all of my money on alterations.

Thanks again!

10. +1, ^^^ This!!!