Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on BEE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassForLife, Dec 22, 2004.

1. BassForLife

BassForLife

Dec 8, 2004
    Who has played a Bee bass?
    What would you compare it to?
    [​IMG]

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Sorry about the totally non-informative reply, but.....
    wouldn't it be reasonable to compare it with the Fly Bass?
    :)
    Edit: I could use some input as well, as I am secretly concidering a Bee 6-string :ninja:

3. I do not know what I would compare it. I really love the one you posted. I think that is called the "worker bee " design.

I would like to have that one but strung C#-F#-B-E-A-D-G and with a couple single coil J-style pups.

How much is that one?

4. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I recently became a Bee owner. I've got a neck through ThunderBee. I've tried about four or five others and they're all different. Personally, I would compare mine to a Roscoe in sound. It really reminds me of Kim Stone's sound with the Rippingtons. (Though I understand he has switched to Fender these days. I could be wrong.)

The neck profile is very flat and different from a lot of other necks I've tried. For the ERB guys, I'd say give Bee some serious consideration.

I'm loaning my bass back to Fred for NAMM, so if you're there, go by his booth and check it out. Talk to Fred with your ideas. I'm sure he could offer some suggestions.

[​IMG]

5. Fill

Fill

Oct 5, 2004
    i cant wait to get mine

6. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    +1

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I lived about 90 minutes away from Fred up until December, and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't get around to trying to stop by the shop to give a couple a whirl.

That 7 string BassForLife posted is, in my opinion, the best looking Bee I've seen. If it had fanned frets, it might well be one of the best looking basses I've seen, period.

8. jbassbaines

jbassbaines

Jan 17, 2004
    That is Scott Hubbell's Bee at top. There are more pix of it and his 5 and some sounds clips at:

www.scotthubbell.com

Jarod

9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Oh man. How could you not find the time for that. Fred is such a nice guy too.

I tried the very first bass he sold. Some guy in St. Pete, FL had it. It was a worker bee and I was interested in the Queen. Oh well. His basses are so much more beautiful now than they were when he first started. I'm sure they play great from other people's posts.

10. hey all,

sorry I missed this post, but as the owner of 2 Bee ERB's I thought I out to chime in.

as angelopb put it, each bass is unique. I find that when working with a custom luthier it's best to work with him or her to come up with the sound you want.

in both cases with my basses, I knew what I was after tonally and had some ideas for woods, but Fred surprised me both times. wonderfully surprised me, I'll add!

here's my fretless...
    [​IMG]

on this one the surprises were the jatoba fingerboard and the Aero soapbar. I was after nice 'mwah' and a bit of growl. boy, did I get that! this bass is just unreal. I have never heard a fretless that sounds like it.

here's my fretted...
    [​IMG]

in this case I was after a super groove bass and Fred and I have dubbed it the Funk Machine because it succeeded so well. the surprises here were the body wood (a medium weight ash instead of the swamp ash I had suggested), the fretboard (bookmatched, stabilized, flame maple), and the pickup (a magnificent Delano MM style humbucker). I would probably compare the tone of this bass to a Music Man on steroids but with a degree of refinement (read 'nuance') that I have never heard come out of one of those.

like Eric, I have played several Bees and they are all unique tonally, visually, and in terms of character. each of these basses has a personality! Fred's necks are some of the thinnest and fastest you will find anywhere!!

hope that was some help,

from the belated lows,

Stew

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How do you like that Delano pickup? I've been eyeing them, since they make an MM style 6 string (and aren't Carvin).

12. oh, man...! it's easily one of the two best of its kind I've ever heard, the other being Carey Nordstrand's. yeah, I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone after that sound. it blows away any actual Music Man pickups I've heard!

from the deeply impressed lows,

Stew

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Do a couple Bee Basses remind anyone of a Wal?

Maybe I just have too much GAS.

14. alright, I posted a new track to my MySpace page featuring the Funk Machine. it's full of clams, but it'll give you some idea of what this bass can do. I'm going to see if I can't get something a little tastier (and shorter) up in its place before the weekend is gone...

:eyebrow: :rollno: :scowl:

from the obviously tired lows,

Stew

15. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    There are a handful of great custom builders out there right now & Fred is one of them. I own 2 Bees, a MM style 5 & my main bass which is a single cut away 6. The 6 is the most flexible bass I've ever played because it's not only loud, but it can go from very clean & modern to dirty & funky. Plus, it's so comfortable, it practically plays itself.

Mark
    AccuGroove & Bee = Bliss
    [​IMG]

16. oh, baby...!

that bass is such raw eye candy that I might need some insulin!

yum!

17. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Momma!

That is one mother of a bass. It's gorgeous!

18. i played paul delano's custom bee at NAMM, very nice

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stew, where's your myspace page so I can here the new clip? Thanks.

20. whoops! thought I posted it. sorry. :oops:

the address is http://myspace.com/stewmckinsey

the tune is called "Duck Walk". just a goofy number with plenty of clams. it should give you an idea of what the bass sounds like, though!

:bassist:

from the lows,

Stew