Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions on boss md-2 mega distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Eisenmann, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    hi

there is one on ebay right now and maybe i could get it for a low price because it seems it is not so popular among guitarist.

the boss website says it is good for low end distortion und 7 stringed guitars so maybe it is good for bass, too??

because the auction ends tomorrow i don't have the chance to play one before so this would be a shot in the dark but maybe i'm lucky...

see you

2. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I own one.

I origanally bought it for guitar and love it for guitar

On bass it tends to slightly thin out the sound even with the bass controll maxxed. This is most likely because of the fact that it's a distortion not an overdrive (even though one of the knobs is labeled gain). The other tone knob is pretty useless except if used towards the treble side to increase the "grit". If you turn it towards the bass side of things the distortion starts to disapear and your sound will sound hollow.

It's Ok if thats what your looking for, or are in a jam for distortion/fuzz, but otherwise look to other effects for distortion.

3. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    thanks for the info

i intended to use it for freaky/experimental sounds for little solo-parts or to just fool around with it.

so...
    how is the distortion by itself?
    does it distort much?
    is it more on the creamy or the harsh side?

it seems the audio demo at bossus.com doesn't work...

see you

4. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    It distorts like crazy, and it's really harsh. You can get a pretty good fuzz sound by cranking both the gain/dist knobs to max.

The settings I used were:
    level - 9 o'clock
    tone - 12 o'clock
    bass - maxxed (4-5 o'clock)
    dist - 3 o'clock
    gain - maxxed

I found this gave me a little more of a warmer (but still harsh) sound than if I had dist maxxed and gain at 3.

the fuzz settings I used:
    level - just above min...
    tone, bass, dist, and gain - maxxed

works better on the D/G strings and Ok on the A so it should be good for soloing.

hope this helps :D

5. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    hmm the auction ended but the price was far to high for me (51euros).
    well doesn't matter. i think i have to look at some more crazy pedals :D

6. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Too bad :( I think that with what you wanted it for you would have liked it :D

Hope you find some cool pedals.

--Dan