Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on PJ modification

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kasbrey, Nov 3, 2003.

1. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I have a ash bodied/ maple necked 78 Aria P copy that I am considering adding a jazz PU to. This bass sings unplugged and sounds every bit as great as my surprisingly good 76 Precision.
    I'd like it to be my main bass but I think it needs the added versatility of a bridge J. Anyone care to talk me out of it before I order a Di Marzio Ultra J ?

2. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Nov 2, 2003
    Wakefield UK
    Go order the p/u! My suggestion would be go for a second volume pot rather than a switch.Far more tonal variation.

3. I like the PJ config a lot.

the only disadvantage is if you play with a pick the J might limit the area you can pick over (ie. it could get in the way).

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, i love my PJ-5. gives the P a nice rounded edge to my sound. and if you dont like it, just roll it off with your pickup selector knob.

5. I might suggest that you look for a stacked humbucking J pickup. A single coil J pickup will usually add some 60 cycle hum to the mix.

6. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    lonote

The ultra J is a humbucker like the Precision.

I was expecting someone to tell me that the bass will never be the same etc. like my guitarist friends are. Looks like I'll have to find someone to route that cavity:)

7. re. switch vs. 2X vol vs. panpot,

a toggle switch offers just the 3 tones, but has the advantage of not loading the pickups-
    when you select the P solo you'll get the true P tone.

a panpot isn't recommended IMHO as the centre position will be lacking compared to toggle switch 2xvol.

my favourite switching method, which I fitted to my warmoth parts P, is a 5way rotary switch, in which position 1 and 5 are the P and J soloed and isolated, pos 3 P+J full-on, positions 2 and 4 sweetspot positions with one p/up on full, one backed off using a preset pot.

wiring the switch was quite complicated, but it works brilliantly.

8. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I was just looking at a picture of a Bob Glaub Lakland which looks very much like my Aria. I'm thinking it might be a crime to spoil this.

9. Lakland offer a PJ option for the Bob Glaub (at least the US model)

here's my Warmoth P-clone (maple board, heavy ash body) - it has a double-J at the bridge-

[​IMG]

10. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I think my Aria is swamp ash as it is lighter than my alder Tokai J (but not as light as my black 76 Fender Precision).