1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange sound with ampeg svt 4?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SkinnyP411, Oct 14, 2013.

1. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    I'm short on time so I'm sorry if this has already been covered (I did search some), but my question is this: Can I get an Orange Terror sound with an SVT 4 Pro or 6 pro?

2. IMHO not really. They have different tone stacks, both can sound good, but not the same.

FWIW, I think the SVT's have a more versitile (and better) sounding pre amp.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Agreed. That's why different amp companies make their own design. They all have a signature tone baked in.

4. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the replies so fast! I was just wondering because I finally have a chance to get a different head and I'm deciding between the TB and the SVT 4. But I love both sounds:/ I can get the SVT for my gig this weekend or I can wait and order the TB. I'm getting a killer deal on both. But I don't know which one to go for

5. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Svt 4 would be a better amp IMO. I tried the terror bass in a store and it didn't impress me very much. The SVT-4 is about as good as it gets for hybrid amps IMO.

6. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    Question: I have one 8 ohm Eden D410XLT but it only has 1/4" inputs!! What's the max power I can get to this cab with only quarter inch connections? I see I can use one power amp in the svt 4 pro to throw out 300 or so watts. Can I get any more or am I stuck? I can't go mono-bridge bc I don't have a speakon jack:/

7. Retrofit the cabinet with Speakons. It's a simple task.

8. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    There's a thread on the Eden forums that details this, not sure if it's kosher to link it here, but:

http://www.edenampsforum.com/index.php?topic=15089

IIRC you may have to widen the hole for the plate, the procedure is not quite trivial, but it's not difficult really either.

9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Don't they make 1/4 to speakon and vice versa cables????

10. that's interesting, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've always lumped the ampeg and the orange amps together as having a very similar sound, at least with the SVT and the AD 200B. The SVT does have a pretty versatile EQ though, when I get the chances to play through one it's interesting to see what it's capable of doing. Come to think of it, the Orange amps tend to have a fairly minimal EQ, while the SVT - especially the pro models - seem to be more complex.

11. The orange uses a fender style tone stack, and is incapable of anything but scooping the mids. The ampeg can boost the mids.

12. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    Keep in mind, friends, I have a pedalboard with a Aguilar Tone Hammer on it so I have pretty decent control over my EQ.

13. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    also, which would be easier to service if something goes wrong?

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    4 Pro.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Of course. They make Speakon to quarter-inch adapters, too. Even if the amp requires specially-wired Speakons to bridge, it's a simple matter to rewire the Speakon end to 1+/2+ with the other end going to tip and sleeve. I don't particularly like Ampeg, and I don't like Orange, but if Jimmy came around and threatened to snap me with the elastic out of my own skivvies, I'd go with the Ampeg.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't worry, I've got no intention of touching your skivvies, Munj.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Good - I'll stick with my Glockenklang, then.

18. Who cares what amp you are using as long as you are playing through a fEARful....

:D

19. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    Thanks guys! I can always count on TB for help! I got the 4 Pro today...and the knobs are lose! The gain knob actually popped off. I guess I can superglue it back. Aside from that, mine seems to have been made in 2008(courtesy of the serial #, The guy said he bought it brand new 2 years ago). Anyways, this thing gets warm after an hour of practice, is that normal for a more tub-ey amp? And as far as racking, what would be a good size rack case? He gave me a 8U rack but, as you can imagine, that's enormous. Thanks again guys! Jimmy, I've gotten your help a LOT with Ampeg stuff and I appreciate it!

20. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    Hahaha, Peavey!