1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange Terror 500w or 1000w?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoshSmith, Jun 27, 2014.

1. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

Jul 23, 2013
    So I've narrowed down my options to the orange terror bass head. But I still don't know which one to get. The 500 watt version or the 1000 watt version. I play through an Ampeg SVT-810 cab. I'm just worried that the 1000w will be too much for it to handle. But I've heard it can take it. Will someone please enlighten me on what to do.

2. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I'd probably suggest the 500 watt version. Friend of mine uses a TB500 with an SVT810 and loves it. I personally own a TB1000 and use it with my Greenboy Dually. I have to use the activate pad with a passive bass to get more travel out of the volume pot (granted I'm using some high gain pedals) and still only play with the volume set to about 25% in a loud as balls stoner metal band. They're that loud.

3. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

Jul 23, 2013
    Yeah my only concern was volume. The tb500 can get really loud?

4. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    The overall volume difference between the 2 would be virtually indistinguishable. The 1000 isn't twice as loud, if that's what you were thinking.

B-string likes this.
  5. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

Jul 23, 2013
    I was thinking that actually. Thank you for clearing that up

6. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    The relationship between power (watts) and volume (dB) is around 10:1, I think, maths was never my strong point. On average, for double the volume, an increase of around 10dB will mean 10x the power. So to double the volume from the 500w you would need 5000w.

Hope this helps for later referral :)

7. Doubling wattage gets you 3 db volume increase. 3 db is the smallest increase in volume the human ear can detect.
    To double volume requires 10 times the watts - 500 watts to 5000 , 1000 watts to 10000.

8. larrison

larrison Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Texas
    I have had both, the 500 has plenty of wattage. I could not use the 1000 more than a quarter of the way up, just way too over bearing and not able to get to the sweet spot of the amp. Both are outstanding amps though depending on one's needs.

9. FourNotFive

FourNotFive

Dec 30, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm on my second TB500. Traded the first one for something a little more scarce and then replaced it as soon as I had the cash. I've never played the TB1000, but I cannot imagine needing more volume than you get from the TB500. If you need THAT kind of volume you would have you own road crew and a truck full of cabs. Like Lazarus does with the 1000 I sometimes use the active switch when playing passive just to get more range. I'm scared to think of what it would do to my ears if I dimed it in passive mode...

If you're interested in some additional "cool" check out the custom headcases that JMac makes:
    http://www.talkbass.com/threads/fs-custom-built-terror-bass-headcase.1060660/
    I just got one for mine and I'm digging it.

10. Exactly : 1000 watt may have a bit of headroom , but 500 watt may hit the rails a little earlier.
    So your right - it depends on your needs.
    Seems the 500 watt one might serve Josh better and save a couple bucks.

larrison likes this.
  11. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I've also played my TB1000 at full blast through my Dually. It gets... really loud. Plaster fell off the I beam in my practice space. It would be impossible to gig at that volume.

CL400Peavey likes this.
  12. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    I find my 500 and a sp212 cab is well enough,it can go very loud even with one sp212 cab but I wouldn,t want to stand to close to it for very long.
    With an 8x10 I think it will be loud enough-oh jeez yes

13. I was thinking about that 8x10 as well - scary!

14. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Hard to imagine one would need more than what the BT500 can put out.

But, if money isn't a constraint, there would be no reason NOT to buy the BT1000. Higher headroom and all.

vasilio likes this.
  15. My choices were GK 700rb or GK1001rb - I opted for 1001 just for clean headroom.

16. just did a gig earlier this evening with the TB500 and a sp212 cab, people pointing, scratching their heads over the size. .....The thing kicks serious ass. 2 guitars, loud drummer and it cut right thru with a great sound anf volume no problem. I was slappin the heck out of the bitch really putting it thru the paces. All I can say is badass! I wouldnt run a 2nd 212 cab on a 500 as it wouldnt get any louder, no benefit...... but the TB1000- can handle two sp212 cabs and benefit. thats the only reason i see for using the 1000.

17. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Update -I,ve added an OBC115 with the SP212 and oh hell it is stupid loud and I mean loud to the point where others in the band say they can feel like little electric shocks to their backs.That is loud.
    Very loud heads are the 500,s but if a 1000 turned up at the right price there is always the active pad and the volume.

18. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Does the Tb500 get close to an SVT tone especially with a clean setting?