Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ordering From Allparts / Warmoth?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Motorhead Mark, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Hey All,

I have finally decided to build "my" bass, to "my" specs, but I will have to order most of the parts from the US. Just wondering what kind of experinces people have had odering from these two places, especially if you live outside the US of A.

2. pretty good places. i like warmoth better by far.

Im from the UK and ive heard that many people have been charged vat, etc. when it arrives in the UK.

If you're from US i would say go with warmoth

so what you after building?

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sorry, just USA experience with Allparts.........

- fast customer service/shipping
    - excellent packaging
    - great online communication about an order
    - and they provide the form necessary with the order to return the item if you find it not to your liking.

First class, all the way, IME.

4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I've had good experiences with Warmoth.

Allparts, well, all I can say is that I won't do business with them anymore. My first several orders with them were great. But this past year, I've called them twice to place orders and the customer service left much to be desired. Maybe I just called on a bad day, but hey, I don't need that crap and there are other companies who will willingly take my money with less attitude.

But your experience may differ from mine--give 'em a try and find out!

5. I've found Allparts stuff to be quite expensive. Their markup on stuff like jacks, pots, etc is very high IMHO.

Stew-Mac seems very reasonable, try www.stewmac.com

For electronic parts--jacks, pots, etc, either Mouser, or Parts Express

6. Crap, everytime I think I have it figured out, I see more choices with better prices...whats a bass player to do eh?

7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    As another post mentioned, Allparts can be expensive. For example, last time I checked, they wanted over $100 for a Badass II bridge. I ended up buying it from another supplier for $60.

Another company that you might want to try: www.elderly.com

They're not a parts supplier per se, but, they do carry a good selection. They're a great company, I've done a boatload of business with them in the last few years.

8. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I was happy with my purchases ( neck and body ) through Warmoth.....

:edit: even though those parts are likely to sit in the closet for who knows how long.... :meh:

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    My Warmoth rant in misc.

I must say, other times ordering from Warmoth went smooth, but I always got a strange vibe over the phone with these guys.

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have order from both!! When I built my frankenbass....
    With Warmoth you need to be painstakingly exact. They will say the can put 4 holes on something, call you back tell you they can only do it if you pay extra. They will try to up sell you after you have all ready paid. You need to know EXACTLYEXACTLY what you want and need. Get a price from them and make them stick to it. With All Parts you get what you order. Not much else. They kind of lack customer service, but you will get good service and fast delivery and accurate. Good prices too.