Ordering parts from Canada

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by guillermo, Feb 26, 2005.

1. guillermo

Oct 1, 2004
    I'm my quest to get my DB (3/4 ply from China) to sound better I'm considering upgrading some parts:

- Ebony Tailpiece
    - Tail wire
    - end pin (if not much trouble to change oneself)

Here go my questions:

please recomend upgrades for the parts, not to cheap
    but not too expensinve either. from where ? Gollihur, Lemur
    other ?

And, how does it work when parts are ordered from the USA and shiped to Canada , I mean is there any customs or taxes to pay when things get delivered here in Canada (a.k.a
    Taxland), any Canadians in TBDB that can share info on this ?

2. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    yes there are customs and exise taxes [gst pst]

count on 15% tax
  3. classicalband

Feb 18, 2005
    hey there,

i understand you are shipping from u.s. to canada?
    you could try looking into canadian makers instead.

1)for end pins. www.n-pin.com
    2) for tailpieces. there is a maker in ottawa name dominik zuchowicz who specializes in violones and viols. he also makes tailpeices for modern. I have seen and heard them and they are very good. In fact, I have one on one of my instruments.you could find him on the internet. also......http://www.lamario.ca/accessoire.php?lang=english
    3) for tailpiece wire. I was at mario's shop a year ago and he was talking about some sort of wire that he was happy with. he would explain more. A pal of mine, who is a player and luthier, has started using titanium wire. i know nothing about the results. you could also ask domink zuchowicz about getting gut for the tailpiece.
    all the best,
  4. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Hi, first off, upgrading the end pin probably won't do much to the sound, but I'm not sure. Also, maybe look into having your bridge properly fit and soundpost adjusted by a professional if you haven't already, just a thought.

I've ordered LOTS of instrument related parts from the US. Obviously you'll pay for the shipping, but also a customs fee, which is $5.00, I think, and then you'll pay the taxes on the price of those items, possible on the shipping costs too. Depending on which province you're located in taxes vary, here in BC it's 14.5%. I think on certain items, like big stuff, you also pay a brokerage fee, as I paid one when I bought a 4/4 cello from the US, to which I also had to pay a special delivery fee because the box was HUGE.
  5. The only way around not paying customs is to have it sent to a friend/relative in the states and have them send it to you as a gift. I hope no Canada Customs and Revenue agents are on this site. :bag:
  6. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    There is no customs duty to paid on practically any of this stuff. Leastways I don't believe I've ever paid any.

On goods & shipping, you've gotta pay the federal GST at 7%. Depending on how you're doing things, you may even have to pay your provincial sales tax.

The so-called "customs fee" varies depending on who brought your stuff over the border. The government does not bank this fee as revenue -- they see none of it. The fee is charged by service providers who fill out the form declaring importation of the item and its value. Canada Post charges $5 for this service. So do most professional customs brokers. UPS charges 50 outrageous freaking dollars for typing the value into a computer form and hitting return.

Think what you want about tax, you gotta pay that. There's no duty to complain about. The main area to watch for trouble is who's carrying your goods over the border and what they will charge to actually deliver them to you. American vendors all seem to love UPS to death for some reason -- UPS screws every single one of their non-American customers. FedEx not quite so bad but still predatory on that service. Post Office is almost always the cheapest way to go. The postal services of either country have never given me any trouble; not so the commercial messenger services.
  7. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    You can use 1/4 aircraft cable, available at any hardware store. They'll sell the clamps too.