Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ouch! Really jammed middle finger!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I was playing basketball (which I will now never play again) and I jammed my middle finger. The finger is now really fat and swollen.

I got through today's jazz class all right by playing my standard 2-pluck 3rd-mute technique, but I'm afraid it's going to be more swollen tommorow.

If this happens, should I play with a pick, use one finger, or something else? Thanks!

2. Use a pick! Who knows, you could develope a technique with picks that you like even more than fingerstyle!

3. ahhhh, a pick with jazz. idk if that would sound weird in real life, but it sounds weird to me. my personal preference would be to just use one finger. also, good luck with the finger, get some ice on that or something.

4. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    i'd go for the one-finger approach. James Jamerson was said to use it quite often, and many upright players play with one finger, so it can be done.

get well soon :)

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    One finger technique isn't too bad. It's true Jamerson used it, but it's also true that his son can't even play like that :smug:

But if you're just walking and playing under 265 bpm, you should be fine :)