1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Out of Phase vs. In Phase

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FrettFretless, Oct 14, 2013.

1. FrettFretless

FrettFretless

Jan 2, 2013
    Ok, so I recently wired up my mess around fretless J-style bass' pickups to be out of phase. I simply swapped the neck pickup's hot and ground wires to do this. I already had a series/parallel switch on this bass, and in series mode it sounds really great, although parallel is good too. when both pickups are full up, the tone thins out a lot and loses a slight amount of output. I kinda like this tone on this fretless, especially since I'm not a big fan of the way the jazz bass pickups "scoop" the tone when both pups are full.

Wondering, do any of you do this and like the sound? :confused: :confused:

2. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Out-of-phase combined with putting the pickups in series (if they are humbuckers all 4 coils in series) is one of my favorite switching combination. It's a lot of trouble to wire up but worth it.

In the guitar world I have a Blazer that has tap-able P90-class pickups and I can "subtract" half a neck pickup from a full bridge pickups, OOP and in-series. That gives you a roar that is a very nice base for some forms of medium and high gain.

3. FrettFretless

FrettFretless

Jan 2, 2013
    Wow, that half-neck pickup idea seems pretty interesting. I may have to try that with my quad coil pickups on a peavey, providing that i can tap the coil without messing it up :D

4. :eyebrow:Tap the coil :confused: do you mean to unwind half of the coil tap it then recoil it:eyebrow:
    Sounds like a lot of work :atoz: maybe you should just split the coil :smug:

Anyway this 6-way switch http://www.allparts.com/EP-0920-000-6-position-Rotary-Switch_p_1345.html may interest you

1. Neck only
    2. Neck/Bridge in parallel
    3. Bridge only
    4. Neck/Bridge in series
    5. Neck/Bridge in parallel (out of phase)
    6. Neck/Bridge in series (out of phase)

How to wire it http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/rotary.html (3rd one down)parallel out of phase POOP hehe