Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Out or in?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by picknslap, Dec 2, 2004.

1. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    It has always been my knowledge that, when you are pumping your speakers, they should be pushing out. But on my GK Backline, they suck in :eek: . My rig is pretty Jimmyrigged until I get my 1001RB :hyper: . And I had to split the speaker cable (into positive and negative) to run the cabinet from an old crown power amp, I have tried flipping this connection around (in case I got it backwards) but to no avail. Is it possibly bad wiring in the cabinet?

2. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    hmm, i dont' know... but maybe you can help me out... on the speaker wire, you said you split it into positive and negative. thats what i need to do for my shindig, but i dont' know which wire is positive and which is negative. so which is positive and which is negative?

3. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    well, normally, the way I would find out, is hooking it up, and if the speakers started sucking in, then I would flip it around, but that didn't work this time. Some cables have them labled on the inside. But I'm using a cheapy cable I got for free.

4. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    shouldn't like the tip be positive and the other part negative?

5. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    yeah, I'm no sound guru, this was my first time doing anything like this, I just knew that it would work. I have friends who are more knowledgable about this stuff, they told me it should be labled, but it wasn't :spit:

6. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    its cool, some other guy just told me...

tip = positive
    sleeve = negative

let us both use this now for future reference, lol

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Most speaker cable is wired with the white wire positive and the black negative. In speaker cable, it doesn't really matter, as long as the same wire has the same polarity at each end of the cable.

Picknslap,
    It sounds like your polarity is reversed, either by the cable or the wiring inside the cab. As long as you're using just the one speaker cab, it won't be a problem. But if you were to add another cab, they MUST have the same polarity or you will run into frequency cancellations.

8. even if reversed, i don't see why it would suck in.

it still vibrates back and forth, just out of phase.

Maybe it is just overdriven squarewave garbage going to the voice coil coupled with the over-excursion of the driver vis a vis the cab's tuning frequency and, therefore, "bottoming out."

9. Yes, it should be vibrating, and it would be next to impossible to look at it and tell visually if it is moving correctly.

I know there is a way to tell involving a 9V battery. Perhaps someone else can describe how to do this as I am not familiar with how the cabinets are supposed to be wired and I don't know which way the speaker should move for a positive DC voltage placed on it.

Cheers,

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I believe you plug a speaker cable into your cab, and then touch a 9v battery to the lead - positive to tip, negative to lead. If wired correctly, all your speakers will push out. If not, you've got some problems.