1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Outboard Preamp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I play through a Fender Bassman 150. It is a nice amp, with plenty of features and 150 watts. The problem is I don't like how the tone controls are voiced. The bass knob is ± 15dB @ 80 Hz. This is too high for me, I would rather around 40 Hz. The treble knob is ± 15dB @ 10kHz. This is also too high for me, I would rather around 4 kHz. The semi-parametric
    low mid is ±15dB @ 150Hz–1.5kHz and the semi-parametric high mid is ±15dB @ 800Hz–4kHz. These controls are far too broad for my purposes, so I can't center in on the frequencies I like to boost and cut.

So, I am considering buying an Aguilar Tone Hammer or Sadowsky Outboard Preamp to use as a preamp that would go directly into the effects return jack on the back of my amp to bypass the preamp.

Is this a good/bad idea? The only caution I have is setting the input gain.

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    For $200, I wouldn't bother. Your current EQ is actually more flexible than either model you are looking at. You can dial in the para mid at 4k and leave the treble knob flat and do the same thing. If you really want to cut up your sound by boosting specific frequencies, use a graphic EQ, but you shouldn't even need to do that. Maybe it's not the amp EQ, but the overall tone of that amp and bass together that you don't like.

What bass are you using, and is that bass boost frequency closer to what you are looking for?
    Both of those pedals look like you plug the bass right into them, and then plug that into the guitar input on the amp.

Wes

3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Flexibility isn't need, I just want simplicity, but at I want frequency points that I like to hear. For example, a simple 3-band EQ with bass at 40 Hz, mids at 400 Hz, and treble at 4 kHz would be ideal.

I am using a passive J-bass, so there's no active bass boost. You can plug them into the input, but I believe they can drive a power amp as well.
    Thanks for the recommendation, but I don't want a graphic eq. I do want an outboard preamp that can drive a power amp.

If I do run my amp "flat", there still isn't going to be a flat response. Most preamps have an inherant voicing, whether it be deep, scooped, etc. By plugging a preamp directly into the effects send I would have one good preamp shaping my sound before my signal before it is amplified.