1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

outdoor venue or indoor venue?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by lordziros, Jun 1, 2011.

1. lordziros

lordziros

May 10, 2011
    easton pa
    which do you prefer to play in or go to? personally i prefer outdoors for going to concerts cause less echo, as for playing live idk i havent yet

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I absolutely prefer gigging outdoors (if it's not raining). No horrible room acoustic issues to overcome.

It also gives me a reason to drag out a bigger rig. :)

I played outside last weekend, and even in a light mist, it was 100 times more enjoyable than the echo box of a room I played the night before.

3. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    Depends on where you live.

Exhibit A:
    I live in Florida. It gets hot. Being hot makes things 37% less enjoyable.

All things equal (nice weather), I'd rather be outside.

4. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    Depends on where you live.

Exhibit [DEL]A[/DEL] B:
    I live in [DEL]Florida[/DEL] Wisconsin. It gets [DEL]hot[/DEL] cold. Being [DEL]hot[/DEL] cold makes things [DEL]37%[/DEL] 67% less enjoyable.

All things equal (nice weather), I'd rather be outside.

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I'll take the minority opinion and vote for playing inside. In this part of the country there are very few days of the year that aren't too cold/hot, raining, windy or any combination thereof. Taking weather out of the equation means fewer variables to deal with, far less potential damage to your gear and you can get a decent sound (both FOH and on stage) with far less equipment.

The only reason I used to prefer playing outside was because of the smoke factor but now all venues in my state are smoke-free by law so things indoors are a lot better.

6. HugoM

HugoM

Jul 3, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Indoors.

Outdoors, gigs too often get cancelled at the last minute due to rain or threatening hurricane.

Outdoors, I'm food for mosquitos.

Outdoors in the summer, insult is often added to injury by playing on a stage without a canopy. In the day, I get fried. At night, the sky is black so no one can see bad weather -- until water suddenly dumps from the sky. Thankfully, so far there have been no electrocutions although some amps died.

Outdoors, we get complaints from condos 2 blocks away that the music is too loud.