1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Overdrive / Distortion tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vosk, May 12, 2006.

1. Hey guys

This is a short clip of some distortion tones I like:

http://media.putfile.com/Bass-Samples

Sample 1 : Nick Oliveri - Queens of the Stone Age - You Can't Quit Me Baby

Sample 2 : Nick Oliveri - Queens of the Stone Age - Give the Mule What It Wants

Sample 3 : Les Claypool - Primus - Have A Cigar (cover of Pink Floyd)

I REALLY like sample 1 - If I could get this that would be great.

Pedals I am looking at:

Vintage (80s) ProCo Rat
    Marshall Guv'nor
    Sansamp BDDI
    Boss DS-1 (Japanese Model)
    EHX English Muff'n

Which do you think would be best for achieving the sample 1 or 2 sound? I put in Sample 3 ... well I don't know why. I like that tone, but I don't want it I guess.

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    you'd need something gritter than the bddi... i'd say go with the muff'n.
    that thing KICKS. and you can get all those sounds on it.

3. bump

4. double bump

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I'd say an english muff'n but it's more to the buzzier side

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Ya, my EM is kinda buzzy, though my setting is "crank everything". That way I get all the buzzing of the boosted gain, treb, and mids, but I also get the smoothness of extra bass!

7. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    I think you could get 1 & 2 with a Hao Rust Ride and the proper EQ.
    P.S. maybe a Ric too?

8. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I'd say precision bass into some kind of ampeg, or a multidrive

9. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I can get that Claypool sound with my Tonefactor Hellbaby. But they're not made any more. The guy that made them said he would re-release them under his own company, so keep a look out. Nice grit.

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Thats not happening now as the guy has stopped making pedals and left the pedalworx company. So thats annoying.

11. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Good call, I was thinking P. But it reminded me so much of Lemmy, I just thought I'd throw the Ric name out there.

12. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Ah, that's a shame. Guess it makes ours more valuable though? :p

13. Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the Muff'n, I'll have to try it out first of course.

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Samples 1 & 2 sound very Muff'n-ish, but Sample 3 probably not.

I love the sounds I get from my Muff'n. As I've mentioned in other threads, the magic came for me when I swapped out the stock 12AY7 tubes for a pair of higher-gain 12AX7's. I run the gain setting at about 45-50% and get a nice moderately heavy OD sound. If you crank the gain, it sounds pretty wicked.

15. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I've been getting some convincing Kyuss bass tones with my Homebrew Hematoma.... although i'm more of a Scott Reeder fan than a Nick fan.

16. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    You should circle around the Doom, stoner rock threads and maybe get some ideas. I know they're are many ways to achieve this from Simply overloading a vintage board when recording to using a behemoth live rig consisting of multiple amps and such.

Most will agree the best way to get a live overdriven tone with the muscle for fundamentals behind is to just use a clean amp and an overdriven amp.

No matter what you do to get the first two tones you have to get something with muscle and beef behind it. I have a big muff and it's more wall of sound than a focused grunt.

the HAO seems like a good idea and a few guys around here have found ways to get the lowend back from the HAO - but from what I hear it's overdrive tone is awesome.

I'm currently investigating the Hematoma as well.

my 2 cents

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Owning 3 of the 5 you listed....

I'd say one is a bit Muff'n ish, but more along the lines of a vintage RAT or Guv'nor. The 2nd one is more Guv'nor than anything else IMO.

18. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    My favorite thing about the Muff'n is being able to EQ it just like a tube preamp. I guess that is all the Muff'n is anyway, a tube preamp. I, too, set my gain about 12 o'clock, then slightly boost lows, slightly cut highs, and set mids at 12.