1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overdrive using a multiband compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wannabe98, Nov 5, 2018.

1. wannabe98

wannabe98

Nov 5, 2018
    Hey guys!
    So recently, I bought a TC Electronic Spectacomp Bass compressor pedal. I'm a college student, so money is really hard to come by, and I play for a couple of bands in my university (varying genres) so I use different techniques depending on the genre. So I figured a compressor was the best choice to go for as my first pedal. I bought the spectracomp as I read that multiple bands could be individually compressed and be made to sound even and fuller. Now, since I play for an progressive metal band, I require some distortion on my bass, but I also have a couple of tapping parts that usually get drowned during the entire performance. Hence, the compressor. So, I want to know if I can compress the lows and the mids just to stay clean and even, but squish the highs a bit to clip it a bit to give me that distorted effect without losing the lows. I'm pretty new to this, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'm pretty sure you can do what you're after. BUT, you can probably only get there in the TC Editor for the Spectracomp. I've opened it before and always meant to sit down with it to come up with my own comp print. But unless you know what you're doing, it's not the best thing to get into. Again, unless educated what everything does IMO. Now if you know compression well and you know what all the little and big parameters are doing when you fiddle with them, I am very confident you'd be able to dial in a sound you want.

I can't help you in that regard, sorry. I still need to educate myself on the Editor and what does what in there to the Spectracomp. But there is a lot you can do in there. So I would say start there. Maybe even visit TC Electronics forums?

Forum message — TC Electronic Forum

3. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    You might want to run another compressor set up for tapping.

Here's a great video on setting up a compressor for tapping:

Another option is to even go multi band with your distortion too like running an Ashdown Drive Plus which distorts highs and lows separately.

C/S,
    Rev J

Robertron likes this.
  4. wannabe98

wannabe98

Nov 5, 2018
    I wanted to know if I could achieve that with a Multiband compressor. The Spectracomp let's me control a lot of parameters while splitting it into three frequency bands, allowing me to compress each one individually. So I wanted to know if I could compress the lows and mids a bit to keep it even, and the highs just enough to distort it.

5. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Probably. I haven't really gotten into the editor.

C/S,
    Rev J

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    My goodness, that guy talks a lot!

7. wannabe98

wannabe98

Nov 5, 2018
    Haha yeah he's got pretty good tips. Still not exactly what Im looking for though