1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Max Roberts, Oct 29, 2006.

1. EBS Multidrive

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Boss ODB3

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Fulltone Bassdrive

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Sansamp PBDDI/BDDI

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. EHX English Muff'n

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Homebrew Hemetoma

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. DOD 250 Overdrive/preamp

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Other (please Specify)

10 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. I'm looking for a warm subtle overdrive. I've been looking for ages now and can't make up my mind. I would really like a fulltone bassdrive but they are a little too expensive for me. So please share with me what you guys would choose.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I hear for a subtle overdrive, the DOD Preamp 250 is decent for 40 bucks.

3. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It seems like mostly, for warm bass overdrives, you get what you pay for. There are of course exceptions (cheap+good, expensive+lame), but it seems like $180 or so is the turning point for quality. I voted Muff'n just because of the warmth.

4. I really really like the sansamp BDDI, im never without it now.

And you can make it pretty subtle by turning back the blend control :)

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    EBS - for that money you can get a used Fulltone
    BOSS - not warm or an overdrive
    Tech 21 - The Programmable is near enough to the Fulltone
    EHX - Ditto
    Hemotoma - Again Ditto
    DOD 250 - Not a bad overdrive on the cheap. It's better at subtle and warm than more extreme sounds.

The fact is, if you want the Fulltone, get the Fulltone. All the other options are in the same price range. You should just find the one that does what you want. Buy used, experiment, and if it isn't what you want, flip the pedal and get your money back. I've seen most of the those pedals listed in the last month, so they are not exactly rare. If you just want a cheap thing that works decently, get the DOD 250.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Check out the Digitech Bad Monkey. I currently own the Fulltone, the Bad Monkey and the Sansamp. I've owned the Boss and the DOD 250 as well as the MXR Bass DI+.

From a value perspective, I liked the Bad Monkey the best. Sure, the Fulltone sounds great and it is on my main board, but the Bad Monkey is no slouch. In fact, I sometimes prefer it to the Fulltone.

What do I like about the Bad Monkey, specifically? It isn't a "fuzz" pedal. It seems rather "warm" to me and the tone knob lets you dial in a nice range of tones, ala the Fulltone. Oh, and it's 39.00 new.

7. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I just got a Fulltone from someone here on TB, for $140. Not a huge price, and cheaper than some of the others you listed...

The Fulltone is great. I've seen them go for even cheaper than what I payed... Check the classifieds section on this board, and buy the next one that pops up (I've seen them pretty regularly).

-Dash

8. I own the ODB-3, the Tech 21 BDDI, and the EH English Muff'n..

The ODB-3 and Tech 21 are now room decorations..

I used to think the BDDI was the best, and the ODB-3 works great if you want a nice tinny buzzsaw sound.

My tone falls somewhere between Chris Squire, Paul D'Amour, and John Wetton, and I used to use my Mesa tube amp for those tones...now, with the English Muff'n, I can get those tones out my lowly GK 800RB.:)

I am addicted to this pedal, and it's an essential part of my sound now...

9. I go for the Visual Sound Jekyle & Hyde pedal. Its an Overdrive/Distortion unit, so you get both for the money of one (150$ new i think, I'm getting one used for 70, but its a friend, so used in real terms your looking at 90+). Its a guitar pedal, but sounds good with a Bass through it. It has a 'Bass-Boost' feature that allows for low frequencies to get through. And you can adjust it from being mellow and warm, to more rough, and nasaly. Its a sweet pedal.

10. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i voted for the sansamp, but if you want to save money, go for the DOD.

11. Is the english muff'n good at subtle overdrive because on the tb sound sample thread alot of the samples of them sound quite harsh. I think I will have to try it soon. The annoying thing is that i can't test the fulltone bassdrive because i'm in england and no shops sell them and that's the one I was most interested in.

12. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I voted other before I knew you didn't want to spend a lot: Xotic BB preamp!!!

13. I got the DOD and it's warm and subtle, not cold and overdriven.

14. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    EHX English Muff'n for tube warm-overdrive imo :)

15. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Sorry if it's pricey. I voted the fulltone- it's the best sounding OD I've owned. a blend knob would make it perfect.

16. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    fulltone
    custom sounds blueberry bass overdrive (hard to find)
    dredgetone angler (discontinued)

17. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I voted for the Sansamp BDDI, but let me suggest the Marshall Guv'nor as a good alternative (and it's cheap).

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Was the just a different manufacturer of the Blueberry? All that I've seen have been BJF.

19. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sorry, my bad. BJF is the mfr, Custom Sounds are the distributor

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    No harm, no foul.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021