Overdriving cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wizard, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Wizard

Apr 29, 2004
    Question..... I have a bass stack that contains a 480 watt amp with two 200 watt cabinets. I am concerned about blowing out a speaker by overdriving it. As far as wattage to the speakers goes, would a higher input level and lower output level send less wattage to the speakers than a lower input level and higher output level?
  2. You're only talking about overpowering the cabs by 80 watts, split between two cabinets. That's 40 watts each. Don't even worry about that, dude. Your cabs should be fine. In fact, they'll probably like the additional headroom. As long as you're not planning on running both the volume and gain all the way up, AND using a pedal to overdrive the signal into the head, you shouldn't have to worry about which knob is set higher. Just set them whichever way gets the best sound to your ears. Personally, I would be likely to run the gain up around 7 or 8, and control the volume with the volume. If you're into a cleaner sound, however, you might want to run the gain lower. But, either way, you're unlikely to blow up your speakers with that set up. In fact, I can honestly say that I've NEVER blown speakers from too much power, and I've been known to overpower my speakers WAY more than that.

By the way, welcome to TalkBass, the coolest site on the web!
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Agreed. But don't clip the amp.
  4. Agreed. What kind of head do you use Wiz? And does it have a Limiter on it?
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    the "480W @4 Ohm" sounds very GK700Rb-II-ish to me...

Profile -> guess confirmed. :cool:
    Whats my prize? :D
  6. Guess Im slacking in my detective work! :eek:
    Nice work though!
    Well then....be sure to use that Limit switch!
    Oh, you prize? You definately get an "AttaBoy" for the day!
  7. Wizard

Apr 29, 2004
    I just added an Alesis 3630 Compressor/Limiter with Gate. I was told that would definitely help.