1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Overloading Ampeg PF500 with a Bongo ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Addni, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Addni

Addni

May 16, 2009
    Akureyri, Iceland
    Just bought a MM Bongo 5 (S/H) and I've been noticing some type of unwanted overdrive sound in my setup. a Ampeg PF500 with the PortaFlex 210 cabinet.

I've been using an FBass BN5 before and never noticed the problem. I'm not playing at a louder volume than before and the gain light isn't coming on.

I know the Bongo has a pretty hot output, and i've been cutting off a bit of low end on the bass EQ, but still I'm hearing some of that sound.

Just put fresh Duracell Procell batteries in the bass.

Has anyone had a similar problem with a Bongo and/or Ampeg PortaFlex. Not really sure If it's the amp or the bass.

2. I play a Stingray HS and have a PF-500. What are your settings at on your bass and on the amp?

Where are these settings at?
    Gain
    Compressor
    bass/mid/treble
    Eq on your bass

If I set all the tone controls on my bass and head at noon, and the compressor off, I dont get any over drive until the clip light is flashing fairly regularly.

3. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    Any chanch it could be the lid buzzing on the speaker cab? I had to put thicker wider weather stripping on mine to get rid of buzzing sound. Its not the tightest seal on the top of those cabs. Mine works great now.

4. Addni

Addni

May 16, 2009
    Akureyri, Iceland
    My amp is down at the rehearsal room but according to memory.

Gain, around 11 o'clock (12 o'clock starts clipping light), Compressor just below none (of none is at 7 o'clock it's maybe at around 8). Bass 12:30 o'clock, Mid 1-2 o'clock. Mid frequency at 4. Treble maybe around 1-2.

EQ on bass is flat (in the center dent) but I also tried pulling the bass down about half way down.

Volume on max, Blend in centre.

Might be cabinet the cabinet buzzing. I'll check that out tomorrow at rehersal. Might need to put a larger seal between the plate and cab. (since I'm using the FlipTop feature)

5. Well at those settings it could be the cab, rattling or carting out even. You are pushing the head quite hard.

Here us what I would do.

Set the master low
    Set the compressor at 9 o'clock
    Bang on the b string while you bring the gain up till it just starts flashing. Not so it stays on, but it should flicker.
    Bump the compressor up just a tad more
    Bring the master up to desired volume.

A ton of volume is tied up in the gain, eq, and compressor. I wouldn't be dimming the master either. If you are still pushing the head into clipping at this point you need more speakers.

6. CL400, I think the OP is saying he has the volume knob on his bass at full volume, not the master volume on the PF-500. You hadn't asked him where he had the master volume set, and he was only answering what he was asked.

If he were running at master on full, that would certainly explain overload! He is reporting that he has the instrument knobs set as volume on full and tone in the middle.

7. I think he was referring to the fx loop blend and the master volume...

Either way I think he would be happier doubling up on his cabs.

8. I thought Bass controls too. Addni which is it?

9. Addni

Addni

May 16, 2009
    Akureyri, Iceland
    Bass controls. Master volume on the head is usually around 12-1 o'clock (pretty much just as loud as I had it with my FBass)

Bass controls:
    Volume full.
    Blend center
    4band EQ all flat, except cutting off a bit of low end.

Amp controls:
    Gain around 12, compressor 7-8, Bass 12, Mid 1-2, Mid-Frequency 4, Hi 1-2, blend off. Volume 12-1

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Is there a pad for active basses on the pf500? Too lazy to look....

11. Yup.

12. You can play around with the input padding, but imho its a tone suck. I would say you are hearing the limits of your cab, and maybe not the head.

13. Addni

Addni

May 16, 2009
    Akureyri, Iceland
    Played tonight, tried turning the gain down a bit lower than before peak light, flattened out the EQ and turned up the volume (on the head itself) and didn't notice the overdrive sound. :) I think my overall output volume from the cabinet was about the same as before.

14. I had a loud practice today, and I actually took the PF-500. I used the neck pick up and the single coil bridge combo. On the bass treble was at noon, mids were dimed, bass at noon. On the Head compressor was at 9 oclock, gain was at 1-2 oclock, bass at noon, mid selector at 4, mids at 2 oclock, treble at noon. Master at 1 oclock.

Through my 1515/66/1 it was loud as hate, wasnt overdriving the amp either.

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Perhaps yes. IME, an overdriven input is REALLY a "tone suck."
    I have a stock 2003 55-01D with the original Korean Pre. Hottest pre I have ever used, and "over drove" many older "active" amp inputs.