Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overpowering Bb

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by tplyons, Aug 12, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have an overpowering Bb on the G string and it's LOUD! Easily thrice the volume of the other surrounding notes. What could this be? My teacher noticed a lump in the neck in the area and thinks the wood is slightly denser there, but could it be repaired cheaply (a la some sort of weight on the bottom half side of the string?)

Let me know.

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Does this happen wherever you take the bass, or have you noticed this problem in one room only? because certain rooms (read: acoustics) favor certain notes over others, so when I hit certain notes, half the apartment vibrates and things rattle..........

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So far I've only noticed this in one room, however I generally only play in this one room. I'll move it around the house soon to see if it occurs elsewhere.

4. Have your luthier check your fingerboard right there. I've seen (or heard) basses do this just before that particular part of the board develops a buzz. How old are your strings? You can also try carefully stretching the string.
    Good luck!