Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

overstand issues

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Shornick, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Shornick

Shornick Scot Hornick

Dec 18, 2001
    NJ
    I am currently checking out an instrument with a low overstand, about 15mm to bottom of fingerboard. the fingerboard is new and it is about 20mm to playing surface. it is easy to play around to a point, after c on the g string in thumb position you really need to angle your arm quite a bit up to keep it from the ribs. the sound of the bass itself is quite huge and everything i could want from an instrument, the price tag is also quite large and I would not be able to get the neck fixed anytime (years) soon. Is putting a shim under the board which I have seen mentioned in other posts also a large bill? After playing a bunch of basses for the past year this one definetly has the sound I have always wanted so I would hate to let that go but I am afraid the overstand will make it only playable for half of the fingerboard. Also, would shimming the fingerboard alter the sound in a big difference in a positive or negative way? thanks.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If the bass doesn't play right, IMO, it doesn't matter how it sounds.

As for the shim, it would mean a new fingerboard (although I guess you could remove and replace the existing fb) plus the additional expense of making and fitting the shim, so I would guess it would be a pretty decent bill. New bridge, new nut.

As for impacting the tone. It's hard to say. You really wouldn't want to use a flat shim, as it would make the neck thicker than you would probably want. If you use a wedge-shaped shim, it would also change the neck angle which would impact the feel either positively or negatively, but it will also change the bridge height, so there is a good chance it will change the sound of the bass. (But perhaps in a good way)

3. Shornick

Shornick Scot Hornick

Dec 18, 2001
    NJ
    well the shop that is selling the bass is willing to do all of the work needed. neck reset and bridge, etc. for no extra cost than the agreed on price. I guess you could say the price came down and the money went back for the repair work. they are still willing to give me some time to make sure it is what I want afterwards. they seem to think it will alter the sound a little but most likely in a good way, a little more projection. I hope it works out ok since the rest of the instrument plays great and really has some depth in its tone. keeping my fingers crossed.