1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

p-bass pick up problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrniceguy715, Jan 2, 2008.

1. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    A little back story. I bought the pick up used on the bay. At the time I wasnt confident enough to do the wiring myself. But I got all new pots and a matching j pick up for the bridge. Oh yeah they are Basslines if that matters. Got it back and it sounded like crap and I really didnt want to deal with the so called tech anymore.

He just laid down the copper shielding in the cavity. Didnt do the pick up routes or ground any of it. The solder was clumpy. I redid it but it wasnt so great

Flash foward, I redid everything with 500k pots. removed the shielding and its wonderful well except....... on the p pup there is barely any volume at all on the E and A strings. This was a problem in the other two incarnations of this bass. The bridg pick up is great and the D and G are awesome. Is my pickup screwed? What could I do to try to repair it? could it be a bad winding? dont wanna drop coin on another pick up is I could repair this one

2. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    any ideas? I have a generic pickup somewhere, when I get another day off I may try swapping them out

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021