1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

p bass pickup height configuration

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by weston417, Oct 12, 2009.

1. weston417

weston417

Jun 19, 2009
    ive got an old first act discovery with p bass pickups. ive noticed some p bass pickups are adjusted where there totally level. ive also noticed a few that are adjusted where the pickups are arched to where the A and D string are closer and the E and G are farther away. is the only reason to do this to increase mids? any input would be appreciated!!:help::cool:

2. It's done in order to try and keep the pickup-to-string distance equal from one string to the next. Because of the curve of the fingerboard, and the string heights being adjusted to match that curve, if you don't tilt the pickup it will sometimes cause the A and D strings to be quieter than the E and G strings.

3. weston417

weston417

Jun 19, 2009
    that makes since..should the bridge be adjusted in the same fashion?

4. Yes- the bridge should be adjusted so that the strings follow the curve of the fingerboard, more or less. Then the pickup should be adjusted to match the strings. Doesn't need to be perfect- just eyeball it.

5. njbass

njbass

Apr 28, 2008
    Guys:
    I notice a significant volume difference from my G string versus E A D strings. G string is approximately 50% less in volume than E A D strings.
    I adjusted the Pickups closer to the G string, which didn't help significantly - thoughts?

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Did you try lowering the E A D portions of the pickup in conjunction with raising the G?

You may also be able to adjust the saddles to help even things out but obviously that will change the action.

7. ZB3

ZB3

Feb 20, 2009
    Klamath Falls, OR
    3/32" of an inch with the angle included. Have fun, Wayne

8. weston417

weston417

Jun 19, 2009
    so the only height limit is untill the string hits the pickup right>?

9. Be careful when setting pick up height, set it too high and you'll end up getting some dreaded "warbling", in other words setting up your pick ups too high can have a very undesirable effect on your tone.

10. weston417

weston417

Jun 19, 2009
    so the ole "close but not too close" approach eh? thanks for all the help guys. just got new hi-beams, put a badass bridge on and set the pickup height and it sounds AWESOME!! would schaller tuners and a graphite nut be a good "icing on the cake"?

11. If it stays in tune at the moment and the tuners turn smoothly now - then new Tuners ain't going to make any difference.

As to a Graphite nut - try rubbing a soft pencil in the slots to get the same effect!!

12. weston417

weston417

Jun 19, 2009
    yea...nope. its always flat and they turn like they got rocks in the gears...even if its a plastic nut???

13. Try a squirt of WD40 on the gears, and the pencil graphite in the nut slots - it'll help, trust me. If they still turn like they got rocks in the gears then think about changing them.

If your Bass is "always flat" - I assume that you mean you tune it to pitch and then it goes flat while you're playing it, make sure you start flat and tune up to pitch, not down. The chances of the machines slipping are zero or less, also there are numerous threads here on on how to change the strings on a Bass - make sure you put the strings on correctly.

14. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Yes - been doing this for years on my basses.

Good ol' #2 pencil. Just color in the slots each time you change strings.

15. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    christ i never thought of that, that would explain why my E and A are louder than my D and G strings on my newly acquired Ibanez. guess i got some adjustments to do tonight.

16. I'm very curious where you were getting that idea?:confused:
    Raising the pole pieces for the A and D strings would only change the response from those strings while the E and G strings would be remain unaffected.
    Why would someone want to have more/less mids on only two strings?

17. weston417

weston417

Jun 19, 2009
    [/I]

it was just an idea... i didnt know for sure. the E string is the low the A and the D strings are the mids and the g is the high