1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P bass pickups poll

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BillyLebuA, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Aguilar 4P60 Hot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. EMG GZR P

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Nordstrand NP4

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. BillyLebuA

BillyLebuA

Nov 15, 2015
    Hi guys

I did some researches on these pickups
    1. Aguilar 4p60 HOT
    2. EMG GZR P (Most popular)
    3. Nordstrand NP4
    I find them to have similar sonic character to my ears. I also like the tone of all of them.
    But I have not found a thread which compares all three. So what are your thoughts on these for all around type of music?

Thanks for Any inputs guys

2. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    I have tried the Geezer and the Nordstrand NP4. The Geezer has a pronounced mid frequency tone where the Nordstrand has a more hollow tone. I would not characterize these pickups as sounding similar. I have not tried an Aguilar Precision pickup, but a lot of bassists like their pickups.

I like the Geezer, but I'm tempted to try a Lauzon and Arcane Precision pickup.

Laurent has posted a few p pickup threads in this forum. He seems knowledgeable in regards to Precision pickups.

BillyLebuA likes this.
  3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    They are all great at what they do. They are definitely different from one another though. I chose the GZR but take that away and I would be very happy with either of the other two. I play in an original roots rock band with 2 female vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass and drums.

BillyLebuA likes this.
  4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I'll also add that if you are someone who only plays at home then most Precision pickups sound good. In a band setting the differences get sorted out pretty quickly.

BillyLebuA and JimmyM like this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Boy is that the truth!

BillyLebuA likes this.
  6. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I think the Geezer is the most precision sounding of the three. As stated above the difference is especially noticeable in a mix.

Frankly P bass pickups really sound better to me in a mix. I like my p bass sound but with other instrument the magic happens.

7. Where are Duncan SPB-1 and Fender Original in this poll? Would be interesting to see how the masses rate these against those that are mentioned.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  8. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    While no longer fashionable, Lindy Fralin makes the best passive pickups I have ever personal heard.

Isotonic likes this.