P bass pickups, SPB-1 vs AG 4P-60

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Xavierbass, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Xavierbass

Xavierbass

Mar 16, 2016
    Chile
    Hello guys!
    I just bought an Am. Standard Precision in a gorgeous Blizzard Pearl finish, a 2011 NOS. It plays great, loved he light weight and neck profile. Best Fender I ever had, by far.
    Put some old TI's I used to play on a Jazz Bass. Pickups sounds great to my ears with rich low end and beautiful highs, but I guess it is just a great bedroom tone and I think it probably won't fit well on a mix or in a band situation.
    I was looking for a pickup replacement, and after having seen some video reviews, I got to this two options: SPB- 1 and AG 4P-60. Any thoughts about those two pickups? Maybe some of you have made an A/B comparisson . Thank you guys!

JimmyM likes this.
  2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I've used both. I prefer the Duncan for the midrange response. The Aguilar is voiced closer to the Fender pickup, but still an improvement. That being said, I'd try your bass in a mix before deciding what it does or doesn't need.

3. Xavierbass

Xavierbass

Mar 16, 2016
    Chile
    Thank you! I have heard the opposite, a little mid scoop on the SPB-1, but I trust in your experience. You are right about trying the bass on a mix, and then decide. Thank you for your nice advise

Yahboy and birminghambass like this.
  4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    SPB-1 sound scoop , AG 4P-60 sound smooth and bloom.
    I been use Ti flat on my previous pbass , sound very good with Fralin P, Fender PV63 and AG 4P-60.
    SPB-1 has nice match with Sadowsky Black label flat and Fender 9050L .

Xavierbass likes this.
  5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The SPB-1 was hard for me to hear in a band mix. I had the hot version of the Aguilar and I recall that being better but I don't have either one anymore.

Xavierbass likes this.
  6. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Haven’t tried the SPB-1 but the Aguilar is fantastic! Very rich punchy sound that can be aggressive when you dig in hard and mellow when you lighten up or back off volume. One of my 2 fav Pickups. The other being the EMG GZR.

Xavierbass likes this.
  7. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I have one bass with the SPB-1 and I am VERY happy with it. (I've never had the pleasure of trying the AG 4P-60.) So I can't directly comment on your thread.

Over the years of being on Talk Bass almost everyday, the SPB-1, Fender Original Precision Bass pickup and now, the EMG Geezer seem to be the 3 most popular P pickups.

My .02 cents. What's the magic with so called different vintage P type pickups? AlNiCo 5 magnets. 42AWG wire. About 11 K ohm. ???????? I mean, that's about the sum of it for a P pickup. It's not any big deal.

Scatter wind? Wind tension? Wax (80% paraffin, 20% bee's wax) potting? Lacquer potting? Are these the "fairy dust" that makes a super big difference in how a P bass pickup sounds? I doubt it.

IMHO, I think just about any decent quality vintage type P pickup is going to sound like a................Precision Bass Guitar.

Buy the Duncan. It has an excellent track record and is cheaper in price. About a $50 savings.

I should conclude that I have about 7 different P Basses with 7 different P pickup and they all sound about the same to me. Any difference is probably due to the different wood of each bass. No 2 basses ever sound the same.

The sound that one person gets with a certain pickup on their bass, well your results on your bass could be different.

Good luck!

8. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I had the SPB-1 and hated it, super boomy, really weak mids, not a lot on top, it was like it was dark sounding and scooped at the same time, couldn't wait to get rid of it

Xavierbass likes this.
  9. Xavierbass

Xavierbass

Mar 16, 2016
    Chile
    Thank you very much all of you for sharing your impressions. Finally I decided to go with the AG 4P-60, and put some La Bella flats. Now it sounds fat, sweet, with a full and rich sound. Articulated bass, very present low mids and rounded highs, with some bite if you dig in. Voiced quite different to the Fralins (which I used to have and love).
    I am very pleased with the results, certainly a big improvement from the stock pickup.

Ricky Rioli and hbabels like this.
  10. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Fralin is in my top 3 for P bass pickups. I look forward to your assessment of the Aguilar.

Xavierbass likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You were smart to do so. Not familiar with the Aggie pickup you got but I did one gig with my 2009 AmStd P which has the same pickup, and it's absolutely godawful to my ears. I do know people who like them because of the midscoop, but I hated it and couldn't hear myself in a dense mix for love or money.

12. Xavierbass

Xavierbass

Mar 16, 2016
    Chile
    Fralins are awesome. And Lindy himself is a great person!
    I discarded that option this time because I am a little bit far away, and prices including taxes and shipment were a little bit high last time. So I found a great deal here with the Aguilar and decided to give it a try. I think I nailed it

13. Xavierbass

Xavierbass

Mar 16, 2016
    Chile
    As always, Jimmy is right