1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-bass pots frequency response

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TinCanBassMan, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Does anyone know the frequency response of the factory active hi/mid/lo pots on an early-nineties Fender American Deluxe P-Bass? Note that I inquired w/Fender and was told they don't publish that info... I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

Thank you kindly.

2. Here's the current specs. Not sure if the 90s are the same. There's a good chance they are, but not sure. This is off an online site, so the "...we don't publish that info" is not correct.

Treble Boost/Cut: +/- 10 db @ 8kHz, a shift in the cut frequency, and about a 2dB slope per octave.
    Mid Boost/Cut: +10dB, -15dB @ 500Hz, and a wide band slope.
    Bass Boost/Cut: +/- 12 db @ 40 Hz, with a 4dB slope per octave.

3. Thanks slyjoe. You're right... it's staring me in the face as we speak. Don't know how I missed it.

I'd have guessed that the bass boost/cut was in the 60-80 Hz range... interesting. It's inexcusable that I've been playing this bass for over 15 years and I'm seeing this for the first time. It will change the way I use the EQ.

The "...we don't publish that info" seemed very odd to me and I told them so (not to mention the "besides, that preamp has been discontinued for some time" remark).

4. I don't know if your preamp is the same one I posted the specs for. Yours MAY have been discontinued. Maybe Fender doesn't publish info for old things.

Take the "old things" anyway you want. ;)

5. Figured I should follow this up to be fair.

After I expressed my... frustration with the initial response, the Fender guy got back to me, said there's been a misunderstanding and said he'd be happy to help me out if I gave him the S/N from my bass.

He sent the specs they had on the bass - unfortunately they didn't include frequency response for the pots. I am mollified nonetheless :)