1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass Special pickguard replacement

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 120db, Mar 10, 2009.

1. 120db

120db

Mar 10, 2009
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...eluxe-P-Bass-Special-4String-Bass-?sku=515201

I'm looking for a replacement pickguard for this bass, it has the gold anondized pick guard, which doesn't really suit my fancy, I'd much rather have a black pickguard. (the bass itself is black)

I think this is a re-issue of a bass fender made in the 80's, I haven't been able to find any for sale though. I think a normal P-bass would work though, but I'd have to get one that was blank (like from allparts) and cut it for the pots. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement that comes pre-cut?

2. 120db

120db

Mar 10, 2009
    Or can anyone reccomend a spray paint? :D

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are loads of custom pickguard places that can make you a copy in any color you want. You just send them your current guard, or a tracing, and they cut the new one. It's even possible that a larger shop like WD Music might even have the correct guard for your bass ready-made--call or email them for the exact part number to order.

4. JayM

JayM

Apr 4, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I got a replacement for mine from terrapin, based on a trace.

terrapin, pickguardian, or jeannie's can easily do this from a trace.