1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P bass string opinions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brandorando0129, Oct 26, 2018.

1. brandorando0129

brandorando0129

May 2, 2018
    Hey everyone, question for ya!

I'm currently rockin my standard P bass with a set of labella flat lites, and I just dont think they are doing it for me. I've had them for about 6 months, and they sound pretty much dead like they are supposed too. I love the thump they give, but all that growl and rasp is what I'm after, with some good thump without to much highs. On my other bass, I'm using a set of nyxls that are great they feel great, but I think I want to go a different route. Yea I could turn up the bass some on my amp, but I'm wanting to try so stuff out.

What do you recommend? Thanks

2. Punchy lows, crunchy mids and not too much zing? GHS Pressurewounds!

3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    For long run, Elixir Nano SS or Nickel.

4. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    TI Flats have a good grunty growl to them, but not sure if they'd have the rasp you are looking for. Honestly I think what you might want is some broken in stainless steel strings, like some DR Fatbeams.

brandorando0129 likes this.
  5. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I love the NYXL strings too. If you like them, toss them on the P and roll back the tone control. Toss some foam under the strings near the bridge and you’ll have a monster P.

I can get rounds to sound similar to flats (especially once they are dead). But I love the feel and playability of flats. P basses and flats are like peanut butter and jelly. They are classic!

6. Or, like "peas and carrots" according to Forrest Gump. :D

chadhargis likes this.
  7. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN

Exactly! As James Jamerson was quoted, "Why put guitar strings on a bass?". Flat wound strings are bass strings. :)

dagrev likes this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    '78 P-Bass-2.JPG On a P-Bass? Flat wounds - the thumpier the better - and the mute in the bridge cover, too. Like my '78 P-Bass...:thumbsup:
    (Well, you did ask for opinions...:whistle:)

9. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    You may want to try DR Sunbeams or TI Super Alloys. Seems you want rounds but not Steel rounds.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

hqdefault.

11. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    For not-too-bright rounds, regular GHS Boomers are great. I've also heard great things about GHS pressurewounds.

michael_t likes this.