1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bobbydeells, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Bobbydeells

Bobbydeells

Mar 19, 2007
    I have just purchased a american standard P Bass and wanting to change the strings to a warm mellow string. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am looking at some Blue Steels

Bassman in Mexico

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Steels aren't the first thing I'd think of when "warm and mellow" are mentioned.

3. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Blue Steels are the opposite of warm and mellow, try some flatwounds.

4. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

Feb 24, 2011
    You might want to try D`Addario XL Chromes ECB81 Warm/Mellow Flat Wounds.

5. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Warm and mellow = any flatwound string

6. Chipit

Chipit

Dec 7, 2011
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    +1 Flatwounds
    TI Jazz Nickel Flatwounds- smooth and mellow. Just sound incredible.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I would go with the Blue Steels or Roto66. Neither are warm or mellow though.

8. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Tapewounds!

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Like telling someone who wants a vehicle to carry a lot of cargo to buy a Ferrari. ;)

OP, as others have already said, flatwounds are what you are looking for.

10. major10th

major10th

Aug 8, 2010
    +1

I have the ECB81 set (.045 - .100) on my 2010 American Standard Precision and really like them.

11. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    I like rounds and warmth too. Roto66 gets me there. Your gauge should be on the heavy side. Rounds will obviously need time to be tamed to get rid of unwanted clankiness.

I don't personally like the feel and sound of flats.

12. Is this the Am standard 4 string P-bass or the 5?

I'm assuming chromes would be the most prescribed here. Personally, I would not buy blue steels for that sound, as everyone else said you should probably go for flats, tapes, or maybe some ground wound depending on how mellow you really wanna get.

13. Fender's Pure Nickel bass strings are mellow for roundwounds. The bit of brightness when new, fresh out of the package, will go away quickly.

14. fish552

fish552

Aug 1, 2010
    Oregon
    I just put D'Addario Half Round's on my '07 Fender P bass. I tried these a few weeks ago at a local shop and fell in love with 'em. Neat mix between flats and rounds and give a mellow thump/punch to the P bass.

15. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    I have Fender 9120s on my fretless. They play easily and last virtually forever. Very smooth and warm. The black nylon wrap looks really cool, too.

16. Maybe after six months of use, though.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    TI's or Chrome's.

Chromes are a bit punchier, but are brighter and a little undefined on the E string. TI's are much more clear in tone and definition, but don't punch quite the same way, and their G string always sounds slightly thinner compared to every other string to me. But both sets are very warm and mellow sounding.

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You did read the post right? I Wasn't suggesting he use SS strings, I was stating MY preference. I pointed out that they were NOT warm OR mellow.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

After 6 months of use they are fit only for the trash can.

20. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Okay, so it's like telling someone who asks about a good hot beverage that YOU would eat some ice cream, while pointing out that it's NOT hot OR a beverage. :)