P-bass wiring problems...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zebra, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Ok, so wiring a P-bass, simple, right? Just look up one of the many wiring diagrams, right?
    Well, I have a P-bass that's been somewhat disemboweld. The guts with all the knobs and input are completely disconnected from the rest of it. It's nothing like the diagrams I've seen, so i'm kinda lost. I also am not quite sure where the wires were originally connected. It looks like one spot MAY be a spot where a wire was connected, but there's another "maybe" spot, and only one of them can actually be the spot.
    I made a crappy diagram to help. Maybe someone who knows how thes things work could tell me how to wire it.
    I also need some soldering tuorials, I looked one up at HCBF, but yet I still suck, so that'll help too.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Soldering is easy. Just make sure that you get the iron nice and hot before you try soldering anything. More heat equals less contact time, which usually means you are less likely to damage the electronics with heat. Make sure to use a tip-tinning compound, or just use a bit of solder and get it coated properly. Most Weller soldering iron tips are pre-tinned. Also, use ELECTRONIC solder, not acid core solder or anything like that. When you solder, just get the part hot enough for solder to flow onto it. Once you have enough solder on there, remove the heat asap. Don't go overboard with it.

Also, for a proper P-bass wiring diagram, click on this link: http://guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUPH1101
  3. lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Off the top of my head:

identify the volume pot and tone pot.

Pickup Wires:
    One wire from your pickup should go to a lug on the volume pot
    The other wire should go to the back of the volume pot
    A wire that goes through the body and is lodged under the bridge should be soldered to the back of the volume pot.

Volume pot:
    One lug (probably middle) has two wires on it -- one from the pickup, and one going to the tone pot
    One lug goes to the output jack
    The other lug should be bent and soldered to the pot itself

Tone pot:
    One lug gets the wire from the volume (middle)
    One lug is connected to one leg of a cap, and the cap's other leg goes to the back of the pot
    The other lug is unused

A wire should go from the back of the vol pot to the back of the tone pot, and from there to the ground lug on the output jack.

That should be it...
  4. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    OOps, I forgot to post that digram I mentioned, D'oh!
    Well, here it is, but the info here already is probably enough.

Attached Files:

5. lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Do you wanna figure it out for yourself using the info above, or do you want some more help ;) There's one little bug in that diagram that's gonna muck things up, everything else should be pretty simple...if it still has you confused, let us know...
  6. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Help is always help. If there's something that's going to be a problem, I certainly won't object to hearing it.
  7. lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    LoveThatBass is right -- the ground wire looks like it might be soldered to the output jack's tip, instead of the ring. Make sure the wire that goes from the volume pot (the top one in your drawing) to the output jack connects to the output jack's lug that connects to the tip (the part that locks into the notch in the end of the patch cord). The other thing is that you currently have two blue wires on separate lugs on the volume pot -- those should be on the SAME lug. And the blue wire from your pickup should go on the other lug (best if it's the middle lug). The the black pickup wire and the other ground wire should both be soldered to the back of the volume or tone pots (either one).

Good luck!