Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Lyte electronics change

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Razor, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Looking for anyone who's changed out the p-up's and/or electronics in a Fender P Lyte...

If there's anyone here who's gone with a "different than factory stock setup" lemme know what you did and how you liked it.

I've got an early 90's P Lyte that has stock p-up's and I added a 2 band Bart pre a few years back....I think the weak link is the p-up's and not the Bart because I just can't get much output out of the thing and everyone seems to think the Bart preamp is a pretty good pre...

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to have one and put in Bart pickups, but left the stock preamp. It sounded much better. I put the P pickup in a passive bass and didn't like it there either. I agree the weak link is the pickups, not the preamp - although I don't think the preamp is that good either. But IMO the pickups should be changed first.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I think I'm going to try an SD 1/4 pndr. Can't recall anybody that's been disappointed in them, of course I've never had one either. The NTBT should have a gain trim pot so that may come in handy with one.

Some of these guys seem to be pleased with that $18 Reverend P that's around now.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Hey thanks guys for the responses....

I'm a big fan of the 1/4er's..I have a couple of basses with them and they are really good p-up's.

Since there is a Bart pre in this one, I think I'm gonne throw a PJ set of Barts in it...see how it does with "it's own" brand of p-up's...from what I hear, most people seem to think the Bart pre's and p-up's perform pretty well together and I think Bartolini has a pretty wide range of p-up's.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

PJ definitely different ballpark than P. Thought this was just a P bass. I had a bass with Bart PJ's and a Bart TCT for about a year. Nice. Also a Pedulla MVP with Bart PJ's.

With a J you can supplement the P or, as I did, use the P to supplement the J where needed. The P's I've had there's always something lacking, usually they have this undefined aspect to their tone, typically a bridge J will complete the tone.

I'd just bought a P pup before that last post. Didn't know what it was and still don't know for a fact but looks like I've got an old 1/4 pndr headed this way.