1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P Lyte electronics change

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Razor, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Looking for anyone who's changed out the p-up's and/or electronics in a Fender P Lyte...

If there's anyone here who's gone with a "different than factory stock setup" lemme know what you did and how you liked it.

I've got an early 90's P Lyte that has stock p-up's and I added a 2 band Bart pre a few years back....I think the weak link is the p-up's and not the Bart because I just can't get much output out of the thing and everyone seems to think the Bart preamp is a pretty good pre...

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to have one and put in Bart pickups, but left the stock preamp. It sounded much better. I put the P pickup in a passive bass and didn't like it there either. I agree the weak link is the pickups, not the preamp - although I don't think the preamp is that good either. But IMO the pickups should be changed first.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I think I'm going to try an SD 1/4 pndr. Can't recall anybody that's been disappointed in them, of course I've never had one either. The NTBT should have a gain trim pot so that may come in handy with one.

Some of these guys seem to be pleased with that $18 Reverend P that's around now.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Hey thanks guys for the responses....

I'm a big fan of the 1/4er's..I have a couple of basses with them and they are really good p-up's.

Since there is a Bart pre in this one, I think I'm gonne throw a PJ set of Barts in it...see how it does with "it's own" brand of p-up's...from what I hear, most people seem to think the Bart pre's and p-up's perform pretty well together and I think Bartolini has a pretty wide range of p-up's.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

PJ definitely different ballpark than P. Thought this was just a P bass. I had a bass with Bart PJ's and a Bart TCT for about a year. Nice. Also a Pedulla MVP with Bart PJ's.

With a J you can supplement the P or, as I did, use the P to supplement the J where needed. The P's I've had there's always something lacking, usually they have this undefined aspect to their tone, typically a bridge J will complete the tone.

I'd just bought a P pup before that last post. Didn't know what it was and still don't know for a fact but looks like I've got an old 1/4 pndr headed this way.