1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P90X

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Socalef9, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Socalef9

Socalef9

May 16, 2009
    hey guys, wondering if anyone has tried P90X. there are reviews all over the internet but it seems like they are all pitching something of their own.

Id like a basic overview, how long the workouts are, what is needed, how hard they really are, and results if possible. thanks guys!

2. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    You can get it in ebay for alot cheaper than the infomericials...I say it works. you should give it a go. I used to work out alot but was in a car accident and have a bad knee and hip I could not do something as strenous as p90x. I wish I could though. I would follow it to the t and would expect results. out of all the exercise "gimmicks" I see on tv, this one impresses me the most. I would deffinately do it If I were you. 90 days goes by quick and the easier its gonna get when your body and muscles start building just dont give up on it.

3. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    A buddy of mine did it (though I think he just downloaded the videos from a torrent), and said the workouts are moderately intense, but he got some decent results (definition).

4. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    My keyboardist's brother is doing it and he says its 1 hour a day/6 days a week of intensive workouts. You need a pullup bar, and rubber bands or dumb bells. He says after a month he has noticed himself looking much better. Also downloaded it off torrents. I would do it too but i dont have time to do that and have a free gym membership at school and prefer to do my own routine.

5. Socalef9

Socalef9

May 16, 2009
    cool. im gonna buy it on craigslist. found it for 60 bucks with all the books. guess i'll give it a try. i think the hardest part will be the diet...... i have a gym membership but i need something to push me and i cant afford a trainer at the gym

6. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    be your own motivation. if im not mistaken I think p90x comes with a diet eating plan that you can follow. good luck with it.

7. Exactly. Looking in the mirror is usually motivation enough :)

8. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    My brother-in-law has this program and he does the workouts with my sister. I've been at their house when they've done it and it looks like it'd work very well. Anything that makes you get moving should work, eventually, if you pair it with a healthy diet. The stuff I watched them do was pretty intense.

I like the idea of P90X because they have the diet plan and a community aspect that drives you to do the workouts. I'm not sure if they still have this but I recall him talking about how people log on when they're doing their workouts and are eligible to win prizes. It's nice that people can improve their health (which is great motivation) but are also driven to do it by other forms of encouragement.

It really makes me want to give it a shot. He seems to enjoy it and my sister really likes it as well. It couldn't hurt.

9. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I downloaded it from a torrent.
    If you're not used to working out like it's pretty intense I did it for four weeks before work got way too crazy and I didn't have the time (in that time I'm proud to say my chloresterol went back down to normal which made my doctor give me props and take me off the meds).
    The diet plan is really easy to follow and has several paths such as toneing up, bulking up or slimming down but mostly adds up to a high protein low carb diet. I started seeing results after the first week, though being more sore than I have been my entire life.
    Plyometrics (day 2 or three out of the week plan) is the devil, I couldn't walk afterwards and my butt hurt for a week.
    The workouts are an hour but the arms and chest days add another 1/2 hour of abdominal work.

It's alot better than alot of stuff out there and not as boring with the amount of variety. That said it probably isn't that great for the seasoned health nut but for us couch potatoes its pretty darn good.

Good luck, I hope I can start back up soon.

10. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    i'm starting when i get in my new house, no room right now...

6 days of hard workouts, and then on the 7th you have a light yoga or abs workout...

they suggest to buy the after workout protein drink and all that, but i have friends that did it, and they just drank water and low sodium v8 after each workout. the tubs are like 50 bucks each and last a month..!

11. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I buy Optimum Nutrition whey online, 10lb bags for 70 bucks shipped. Vitaglo.com

12. My uncle does it, he is 55 and in great shape. I have a different workout plan, but P90X looks like it is a good one.

lowsound

13. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I am a United States Marine and my unit has used it before for PT.

It works

14. It's great, I'm in week 7. My brother did it and lost 45lb. I haven't lost any significant amount of weight but that's not discouraging me. I wasn't out to lose weight. It is tough but keep a happy but strong mind and you'll do fine.

15. The program's awesome - just remember to eat right and listen to your body. If you're not physically fit, it's going to kick your tail the first couple weeks, but stay with it and don't hurt yourself.

Pros: Very good nutrition plan, excellent variety, and you don't need to spend a bunch of money or space on equipment.

Cons: Nutrition plan can get expensive if you follow it to the letter of the law, exercise intensity can be too much if you're not ready - again, pay attention and don't injure yourself.

And I agree with the earlier poster: PLYOMETRICS IS THE DEVIIL!

16. We did this as our off season training for four weeks as soon as we started back up again. oh my god. It was terrible (as in terribly hard).. Plyometrics is the devil, along with the arms one. We usually would finish it, and then wait an hour, and then drive ourselves home because we couldn't move. It was an amazing workout and shredded everything, thats why it was so goo. But I think our workout was a little harder than yours because we did it when it was 100 + degrees outside.

17. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
  18. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Socalef9, its been over 90 days did it work?

19. I've read a lot about it, but it isn't for me.

I work out but I also have primary sports gains at interest, so, it isn't really useful.

I also find it better to read up and do what you find works best for you. But, if a plan is working fine, then stick at it :)

20. I have tried it, and all I can say is that it's not easy, but you'll get results.

So as long as you commit to it, you'll be satisfied