Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA for Vocals

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Funk On Crack, Oct 11, 2004.

1. 1st off, yes I have done a search.

Ok, we are going to be playing at parties and whatever so we need our singer to be heard.

Here's our gear:
    350w bass amp with 4x10 and 1x15
    60w TSL Guitar amp w/4x12
    Drums

We had a look at the search, and quite frankly the answers varied so much that it didn't mean didly squat to us. We saw 2w per person, 5-10w per person, and 300w in general.

Question is, would a 300w @ 8ohms/side (600w total) do us ok with a pair of 400w 1x15 pa speakers? This would only be used for vocals, unless you can tell me what else should have to go through it.
    Thanks guys/gals.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Depending on the sensitivity of the speakers (i'm assuming you meant 1x15 with horn tweeters) you should be ok for vocals and a smidge of guitar, kick, and snare if needed. I would definitly include a pair of quality speaker stands in the purchase. You will of course need a seperate power amp for monitors.

3. We would probably only have 1 monitor.

What is the bare minimum (watts/speaker space/whatever other factors) for the vocals just to be heard over our gear.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that question is effectively meaningless, if such gear doesn't actually exist or is unavailable to you! :meh:

You need to come from the other side of this question - as in, what gear can I buy/acquire and of that gear, which best suits our situation?

I would suggest you go to a few shops, tell them your situation and try a few systems, compare costs, sound etc.

Peavey PA gear seems to be reasonably good and good value - but you need to get out there and try a few systems, then see what you can afford and what sounds good to you.

There is no point in somebody here saying - you need 'xxxxx' system - if that specification simply doesn't exist or hasn't been made ......:meh: Similarly if soembody suggests an ideal system - but that is only made in Vienna and they don't export!! You need to find out what is available to you, first.

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bruce brings up excellent points. one caveat, i've had experience with peavey gear and we had problems blowing drivers (woofers and tweeters) regardless of power used. (although i had a 2x15 black widow equipped bass cab for years that took quite a beating and never gave me a problem).

I wouldn't try to go for the "bare minimum" for two reasons. First, it's always good to have as much headroom in the system as you can. Second, you don't want to find yourself in the position where you need to upgrade in a year because you went too cheap. Definitely take bruce's advice and go try stuf out and ask questions. Honsetly, for what you specified 300 watts a side should do you fine, I wouldnt go below a sensitivity rating of 100 dB on the cabinets, 103 dB+ would be even better.

6. I understand full what you both are saying. The problem is, it isn't me spending all the money. If it was, I would buy a QSC PLX 3402 and mix and match speakers. We're all putting in money towards this. I've tried many a time to tell the guys that we "get what we pay for".

Heck, i'd rather hire a PA one night a week (as thats all we gig for now) for the 3 weeks. Do they listen? Noooooooo... :spit:

Thanks guys, you're helping a lot.

7. There is another point that you might like to consider - if one of you buys the amp, and another buys the speakers, you know what will happen when you go your separate ways. If 4(?) of you share the cost between you, what will happen when one of you leaves?

8. Well, seeing as the band only wants cheap crap for vocals, I'm willing to spend $250(AUS) and not worry about whoever wants to keep it when we break up.
    On the other hand, if it were something bigger, I would buy the poweramp. QSC PLX 3402. Then I could keep it for myself/rig. Way too powerful? Maybe, I'd still like to mess with it.

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the problem with an amp like that is it's a good chance that you'll end using pa speakers that can't handle the wattage and end up frying the speakers. You want a vocal pa, get a vocal pa.