1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PA Speaker: 400watts enough to gig?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ilmaio, May 28, 2011.

1. ilmaio

ilmaio

Sep 3, 2009
    Cremona - Italy
    Hi folks,
    I have to buy a couple of speaker for my band, since we are starting to going out and ahev some gig.
    My question is very simple: how many watts do we need?
    We are in 5: voice, guitar, bass, drums and keyboards.
    We play pop/rock and we usually play in small pubs/small outdoor parties, so we don't need to much power.

A couple of 4-500watt speaker are enough or should we wait to increase the budget and aim for 1000watt?

Thanks in advance for the answers

2. In my experience you don't need anything more than that. Unless you're going for making the whole audience deaf. :)

3. Measuring output in watts is a big mistake. Case in point: EV zxa1 - 800 watts - Very low output cab (but great sound quality). A billfitzmaurice DR250 with a 100 watt amp would probably kill the EV in output.

4. ilmaio

ilmaio

Sep 3, 2009
    Cremona - Italy
    Thanks for the answers:)

So, what do you think of this Yamaha MSR400 ?
    It's a 300W RMS speaker, and i found this data
    Maximum SPL: 121dB (1m)
    Dispersion : 90° (H)/40° (V)

I think that a 121dB SPL is pretty good, am i right?

That will fit perfectly our budget

5. For the same money I would try to get the RCF ART310A. RCF ART310A 10" Active Reference Speaker ART 310-A B&H

What are you hoping to run through the PA system? How much coverage do you need? I'm asking because if you need to run bass and drums through the PA it will be necessary for you to include a subwoofer or much larger tops.

6. ilmaio

ilmaio

Sep 3, 2009
    Cremona - Italy
    We want to run all the instruments through the PA,including bassand drums

7. You'll need a subwoofer then to do that right.

Randy

8. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Wrong 121 is pretty low actually. I have some JBL PRX 512ms that are are supposedly rated at 133db peak. That is over twice as loud as the yamaha you mentioned. If you want yamaha powered speakers then go with these. Buy Yamaha DSR112 Active Loudspeaker | Powered Cabinets | Musician's Friend

9. stevemac

stevemac

Feb 24, 2011
    Offhand I'd say 400W is enough depending on size of places, but it does depend on a bunch of things, as stated above.

10. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Go hear some other local bands, and find out what they are using. Around here, a JBL 722 top and 728 sub per side (or equivalent) is pretty common. Though I've heard bands sound quite nice through a Mackie 450 and sub per side. What's most important are the band, and the talent of the person running the mixer (and not being too loud on stage - that can ruin even the best band and soundperson).