Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA system?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NNbassest, Nov 23, 2004.

1. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    hey yall,
    im a poor broke 13 yearold and im in need of somthing more then this practice amp now. i was wondering if i had a 6 channel mixer, 2 600 watt 18 inch subs, and 2 10 inch 100 watt speakers(because allaround its cheaper then a real bass tower or somthing along the line and it would put out alot of bass ) its easier for me to buy and i was wondering will it work? as in like not worrying about them blowing and will i get sound??? :bassist:

thanks yall,
    JJ

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah it would work.

Your tone would suck though.

You'd be better off with a something like a used Peavey 15" combo amp. They can be had cheap, give you tons of volume for it's size and give you some control over your tone.

Or a cheap, used head and cab.

3. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    yeh, i got like 200 bucks tho. i was considering the Kustoms system
    cuz iccant afford a nice cab and head. im like flat broke so yeah. and i dont want a little practice amp cuz when our guitarest's are playong on the Marshall TOWERS im useless :bassist:

thanks,
    JJ

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    For $200 you should be able to score a used Peavey TNT or TKO. Loud for what they are.

Look for used. Have a garage sale, sell stuff you really don't need anymore, get a paper route, mow lawns, shovel sidewalks and driveways (if you live where there is snow obviously), anything to make some cash.

IMO, using a PA for bass will give you absolutely no tone control at all. Get a useful amp/cab/combo and tell the idiot guitar players to turn down. :)

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    pa can sound great for bass, but you need good stuff to do so
    a 200 dollar pa system will sound like crap

6. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
  7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Just my opinion, but I would check out every local music shop for any used cabs (of any configuration, i.e. - 210, 410, 115, 215, etc.).

See what they have available for cabs and heads. You may be surprised what's out there for your use, that could be had for very little money.

When I was young and just starting out (oh, say 30+ years ago), I got to know a guy at one music store and he'd let me take gear and pay a little a month for it.

Perhaps you could ask your parents to help you and do some extra work for them to pay them back.

8. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    thanks man, but the only music store around here sells onl ylittle combo amps and im not interested because my guitarest will just blow me away. the store specializes in band and school stuff like i got my ol dStandup from them back when i was i nthe school band. and ive tried getting my parents to help but its a no go as of now. also my bday is coming up in feb. so ill see what i can do. maybe a practice amp for now and somthing nicer for my birthday? i tihnk ill live...
    thanks, JJ

and will the Fender amp above work? http://www.bananas.com/productdetail.asp/pid_6382/productname_Fender-115-PRO-EXT-Bass-Cabinet

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The link you gave was for the Fender Extension cab only. That's $399 for the 15" extension cab...that doesn't include the Fender 400 Pro Combo amp.

That combo amp goes for $999.

http://www.bananas.com/productdetail.asp/pid_6383/productname_Fender-400-PRO-Combo-Amp

You can get a kick ass Peavey BAM210 combo (that allows for an extension cab later on when you have the cash) used for around $500-$600.

The BAM210 as a combo gets very loud even without an extension cab.

10. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    thanks for the save man. ill check into the oter amp. thanks. i just wanna blow my guitarest away on my small budget lol! well not neccassarly *sp* blow him away but just be heard over his Marshalls thanks :bassist:

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Cool, glad I could help.

Do a search here on talkbass under the amp forum, for "210 combos".

You'll get a ton of information on what's what. Then when you feel there are a few that might meet your needs, do a search on the internet for some good used buys.

If you get a combo that allows you to add an extension cab in the future, it will produce even more volume for you (typically the heads in the combos will supply about twice the watts and you will increase speaker mass with an extension cab).

The BAM210 is 300 watts into 2 10" speakers. It runs at 4 ohms. If you add another 4 ohm cab later, it will run at 500 watts. So, if you added a 4 ohm 410 cab to it, you'd be pumping out 500 watts into 6 10" speakers and your guitarists would then be telling YOU to turn down. :)

But even stand alone, the BAM210 really kicks some serious butt volume wise. Great deal if you can find one used.

12. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    amazing man, thanks. the guy i bought my Fender from just offered me one of these Berhingers 1200 combos wich go for near 300 new for 170...hows thgat sound?

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, it's only 120 watts into a 12" speaker. That will do for a practice amp and possibly a small gig with acoustic, or very quiet electric guitars.

The problem with being a bass player is that we have to push alot of air. Low frequencies need alot more speaker mass and wattage to get the lows out there.

They retail for around $279 new. Given what you told me so far, I'd keep looking for something with more power. You want an amp that will push at least 200 watts (400 on up, being ideal) and at least 2 10" or one 15" speaker that can handle that much.

14. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    thanks man, what if i hooked an extention to that later on? or should i just keep on looking. :bassist:

thanks

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I don't think it would accept an extension cab.

Even if it did, the cab only has one 12"...and I doubt it's a high powered, high end speaker.

Any cab you add might make the head put out 240 watts (only if the internal speaker is an 8 ohm and you added another 8 ohm cab). But what 8 ohm cab could you add that only needs 120 watts? Not many. And all this is only if the head actually does allow an extension cab. Most small combos don't, and the small ones that do, make the internal speaker shut off when an extension cab is added (of course I'm talking small combos, not the typical 210 combos).

16. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    thanks, im gonna bust my ass at my nabors office supply retailer store for he next weekends and get 10 bucks an hour so ill roll in the money for a nice amp setup...

thanks for all te help right now im looking into the Fender Rumble series....are they decent?

EDIT: the guy i bought the Fender from said he'd sell me his 400 watt Yorkville cab and a 350 watt head *i tihnk* for 400 bucks. i would proceed to build onto this to make an ultamite rig....suggestoins? is this smart buy?

17. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well a 350 watt head and a 400 watt cab would go a long way to giving you some power.

Make sure the head and the cab match in ohms. If the head is rated at 350 watts at 4 ohms, and the cab is 4 ohms that's fine. If the cab is rated at 8ohms, the head will only put out about 175 watts (unless you add an extra 8 ohm cab to give you 4 ohms total).

I'm not familiar with the Fender Rumble series. I'm just not much of a Fender guy (except for their old Precisions, Jazzes and guitars and guitar amps).

18. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    thanks, and yeah that cab/head match up cuz he is currently using it as his setup. he told me a great story of how he plugged it into the LINE IN on his alarm clock/ sterio cuz its got a line in and forgot abuot it the next morning...wish i coulda seen it.
    thanks for the help and i tihnk im gonnna bust my bootay for that rig and just build it up :bassist:

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Cool. Good luck. I remember my first "real" bass amp and cab, and it makes a world of difference. Not only in being able to hear yourself, but just having the volume to shake the earth as a bass was intended. :cool:

There is nothing quite like the first time a guitarist tells you to turn down, instead of the opposite. :D

20. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    oooo man im looking forward to that....well off to work thanks yall... :bassist: