1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pains in my right shoulder.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DioMANOWARDio, Jan 6, 2012.

1. DioMANOWARDio

DioMANOWARDio

Dec 4, 2011
    For as long as i can remember whenever i play sitting down my right shoulder (picking hand) starts to ache. I don't even have to be playing for long for it to start to kick in. I'm pretty new and i've red somewhere that you can't bend your wrist over the guitar so i don't do that, my elbow goes straight up and is perpendicular to my wrist.

Am i doing something wrong?

Also i have just tried to ignore and play through it but it gets to a point where it hurts way to much. The pains go away a couple minutes after i put my arm down thou. :mad:

Any suggestions?

2. Are you slouching forward or hunching over the bass when sitting? This will pull your shoulder up and back. Same thing happens if the bass is just too high while you're sitting. You might just have long arms and might need to adapt your sitting style a bit (try a stool, adjustable foot rest, etc...).

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Mine did that last week at a jam, but the tune lasted for about 15 minutes, lol. I had to take a break afterwards. I think in your case I'd make sure that I wasn't in a strain at all from the get-go, and then compare that to how I felt after one tune of regular length. Could be your elbow is out too far.

4. I should mention that this is one of the reasons I tend to advocate using a sort of "classical guitar" position when seated (bass rests on left leg instead of right if you're a right-hander). When seated, the bass will likely be too high on your body. I go full out and use a guitarist's foot stool as well.

5. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I've had a similar problem with the right shoulder. I now use a drum stool, so the body of the bass can be very low alongside my right hip. This gives my right hand and wrist the freedom they need, with the shoulder in a comfortable position.
    My shoulder problem isn't directly related to a wrong position, but is mainly caused by arthritis.

6. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    +1, works great.