1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Painted pick guard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RonChase, Jan 21, 2012.

1. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I have had a pickguard changing fetish forever,I been painting some as of late and this one I thought was worth a share if you were thinking of painting one.My paint of choice? automotive spray paint.Maybe someone can tell me why whan I apply clear the paint totally wrinkles?This pickguard was stained and had letters burned into it.I bought it new it is a MIM Jazz bass,about a year later I traded it towards a recording session.Then I found its twin for 125 dollars in pawn shop.a quarter of what I paid.Through creative horse trading I got it back.Lets see if my computer will post pictures this week

2. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    If the paint is "beading," or "wrinkling," you've got adhesion problems. The pickguard probably has some oily residue from the molding process or your fingers. Clean it with Comet before you paint. It'll dull the glossy finish & give the paint some "tooth" to bite into. If you can't wait for it to air-dry, make sure you use a tack-rag to pick up any lint/ fuzz left behind from whatever you used to dry it. You don't want that stuff in your finish. The lacquer should be chemically "hot" enough to take it from there.

If you've got "orange peel," either the paint is too thick, or there's too much humidity where it's curing which causes the paint to gas out at different rates. You can knock the bumps back with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper (wet), and overcoat with a clear gloss.

Actually, I'd probably overcoat anyway to protect your paintjob. Unless you play fingerstyle, a pick will mar the paint PDQ.

MAKE SURE YOU'RE USING A CLEAR COAT THAT'S COMPATIBLE WITH THE PAINT! Lacquer/lacquer, poly/poly, but DON'T mix them, especially poly over lacquer. THAT will definitely cause "wrinkling" in the paint underneath.

Also remember, laquer gasses out enough to handle in about 3 days. Fully cured & rock hard in about 10.

3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    try montana brand, they have special primer for plastic, and the paint is way better quality than anything i have seen available anywhere else, and you might not even need to clear coat

4. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    Thanks for the tips guys I painted a few more

5. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    someone asked about a Squier P-bass and modding it,I say strings tuners maybe a pickup and always with Fender lose the boring white guard

6. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    Oh and guys thanks for your ideas I will try them,I wanted to start building guitars and bass's but no market right now but refurbishing and barter seems to be through the roof here is a project I did just because of snow todat here in Connecticut

7. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    this guard was on the jazz before the green one,I had a twin jazz bass and somehow got shuffled out of this gauard

8. Those look really nice, Ron.