1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Palm Mute with Pick on 4 String for Tic Tac Sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ross Rowley, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Ross Rowley

Ross Rowley

Oct 12, 2017
    I've been experimenting with creating the Nashville Tic Tac bass sound on electric four string.
    By palm muting and boosting the treble a bit, I feel I have come pretty close. Understandably, the Nashville Tic-Tac bass sound was created by Harold Bradley and Bob Moore with a baritone and upright bass playing simultaneous lines. But, amazingly the modern kick drum and electric bass can accomplish the same feel and very similar tones. I only use this technique when playing country songs from the 1950's and 1960's. I'm not trying for a baritone sound ala "Galveston". Does anyone else use this technique?

2. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I personally don't but another trick to try is to use a tc electronic Sub 'N Up emphasizing the up and blending it with the dry sound. It would seem to me that would really bring out that effect.

C/S,
    Rev J

3. Ross Rowley

Ross Rowley

Oct 12, 2017
    That's a very interesting idea....

4. Palm mute and pick is how most duplicate the tick tock sound. A spring reverb doesn’t hurt either.