1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Panning in Helios

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by improvpwnd, Apr 7, 2009.

1. I was wondering how you get certain notes panned across the stereo field on Helios. Are you using individual piezo's on each string? Is it a stereo effect? Are there two bass tracks going on? The bass sounds extremely wide and extremely awesome. Thanks!

2. anyone?

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm guessing Michael's busy just now, but yes, there are individual outs on each string on the Hyperbass - most of the time live, I think, he just uses the standard mono out, but with a breakout box it's possible to take every string to a different amp/channel.

It's a pretty amazing experience to hear it up close :)

Steve

4. Very cool. Thanks

5. stevek

stevek

Apr 27, 2006
    El Paso, TX
    I had a techie question regarding this song as well, Michael. I understand you're using piccolo strings on your Hyperbass for this? If so, how are you able to tune these strings so low for this piece? It seems these light stings would become rubber bands tuned so low ;)

6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Sorry to be slow to respond, guys!

Steve's absolutely right -- the magnetic pickup on my Hyperbass has a separate output for each string. There's also a fifth output for the transducers built into the body. This is a fun feature that I'd use all the time if I could, but I can't afford to travel around with a 5-way system!

As far as string gauge is concerned, the trick with using slack-tuned strings is not to expect them to react like strings tuned tighter. I hope that makes sense!