Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Papa Grows Funk: Peter V.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by deepestend, Dec 3, 2003.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Papa Grows Funk. Not sure if any of you have heard of these guys, but they are fantastic. Not sure if many of you keep up with New Orleans music, but here’s where they come from. Way back when, there was the Meters (who you’ve probably heard of). George Porter is their bass player. Through the years, they had some interpersonal issues and ended up not having the origional line-up playing together anymore. This is not actually a problem as the new guys have come from the New Orleans ranks and are arguably just as good, but not the origional guys. Also, they had to change their name to the Funky Meters since Allen Tousaint owns “the Meters” name and wouldn’t allow them to use it. That’s another story. Anyway, as a side project, George Porter had a side band called George Porter and the Running Pardners. This was a great band that was a George vehicle and did a lot of Meters type songs as well as the Meters repertoire. A few years ago, a few of the Running Pardners and some other New Orleans musicians started jamming and eventually formed a group called Papa Grows Funk. It’s kind of a cheesy name, but anyway, two of the guys in the band were in the Running Pardners (Jon Gros on keys, and Russell Batiste on drums) and eventually PGF started playing and touring so much that George cut them loose from the Pardners to do their own thing. They are basically a modern interpretation of the Meters/New Orleans funk sound in the same way that Phil Lesh and Friends is the modern interpretation of the Dead sound—that’s a pretty loose analogy, but you get the point.

PGF has two alternating bass players who switch off depending on their availability. I just saw PGF again this past week at Tipitina’s in NOLA and man were they good. Peter V. was on bass playing two beautiful F basses that night and he was just dead on. The sound of those basses was punchy and noticeable in the mix without being too hi-fi sounding.

I highly recommend that you see them if they come to your area.

Anyone else seen them?

2. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    I haven't seen or heard them, but I'm excited to check 'em out - I love NO funk. Do you have any of their discs? I imagine this is the kind of band that really shines live.

BTW, I think the bassist that plays the F Basses is Marc Pero. His photo from the bands site shows him playing one. Maybe Peter V switched to F's also, it wouldn't suprise me ..... thoses basses kick butt.

Thanks for the heads up to the band.

Tony

3. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I think you're right I get those two confused. Peter V. (I think!) plays a musicman sterling...good stuff. As you'd suspect, the live stuff is much better than the recordings, though they do have their merits. You can listen to the latest one on their website.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I've seen them in Baltimore. They kill.

5. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Peter V. actually uses a Sabre and talks about it in the discussion pages:

http://www.esolutions.net/~papagrow/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=fa0f8970e5dcbfe672163074411fdf47

I play a 1987 Musicman Sabre bass by Ernie Ball. I have a Gallien-Krueger 800RB Bass head, a Hartke 4x10 cabinet, and a peavey 18" cabinet( it was an 18"x210, but i cut it in half and just use the 18") I bi-amp the highs and lows,sending the highs through the 4x10, and the lows through the 18". I particularly like the 18" cabinet, it has a good solid low end.I don't use a direct box, I use the direct lineout from the rear(low impedence)of the 800RB.

6. Papa Grows Funk rocks!

as a bassist in New Orleans they are one of the standout bands in town!

let me know if you're gigging anywhere, deepestend, as I'm always looking to check out other players around town.

I just did a show with bass wiz Trip Wamsley this past Friday and our drummer was Jon Massing who plays in Brian Stoltz' band!

:D

from the depths of groove,

Stew