1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parallel connection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheOnlyJuan, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Fellow TBers,

I have done as much research as possible, without having to ask the same questions, and I still wind up pulling my hair out. I have a GK 410MBX and a 115MBX cabinet. Both are rated @ 8ohms. The 410 can hold 400 watts and the 115 200watts.

I have been experimenting with a number of amp heads (the most recent of which was the GK 400RB) and my cabs just do not sound right.

I was so desperate that I even contemplated selling the cabs because I just could not figure out how to get the most out of my cabs. Should I get rid of the 115 and stay with the 410 (I do not play in venues that require both - as a matter of fact I most use my Ampeg BA115 - but I would like to have a back-up and since I already have the cabs...).

If I stay with both, should I get a head that delivers 400 watts into 4ohms?

I have been reading many posts here, but I am still confused...maybe I should sell them anyway and get a nice combo amp for a back-up. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

2. The MBX are darker somewhat boomy cabs. Do you like the sound of either on their own? The power handling of the 410 would be prefered but not if the 115 sounds better to you.
    When mixing cabs ONLY double the lowest power handling. So in your case you would not want an amp that is rated to put out more than 400 watts @ 4 ohms load.

If you don't like the sound of either cab by itself, sell them both and look for other options.

3. Which ever cab you like best on its own, keep. Sell the other. Should you need more volume than the single cab can provide, add a second identical one.

4. Thanks B-string and CL400Peavey. That is where I was headed but I am seriously debating getting rid of the 115. Any suggestions as to what type of head I should get for my 410? I saw a small GK on eBay that kicks out 600 watts (375 @ 8oms).

5. That is an odd power output figure for G-K? What model?

6. This, again and again. Unless you REEEEALLY like the 1x15 better, dump it.

7. I actually continued to look after my last post and I was looking at few options:

1. GK MB500 ultra light
    2. Behringer BX4500H (may be a little light on the output).
    3. Hartke LH500
    4. Ampeg PF500 (MAAAYBE - I already have an Ampeg combo).

Any of these should be able to push my GK 410MBX.

I am open to any other suggestions. Since I will be getting rid of my 115MBX, I will just take the money I get for that and get something better. I was also of Markbass - I love the way their combos sound but I have not checked out their heads.

8. I already have a 15 combo so I think that I will keep the 410. Thanks.

9. Good work, that's what I would have done in your situation. Then get the GK or the Hartke head, in my opinion.

10. Thank HolmeBass. A lot of work and I still did not know if I was correct. I had tried at least a half dozen heads and I was wracking my brain trying to get the proper output so I said, "the hell with it. I need to ask the people that know about this the most". Thank goodness for the guys who created this site...and thanks for the recommendation...of all the heads that I have tried, the only one that I haven't has been the Hartke.

11. I would personally choose the G-K or the Ampeg. Either will give you at least 350 watts to pound that 410, still concerned about whether the PF-500's are stable so be sure you go new from an authorized dealer.

12. I will do my homework on all three (three more days until I get paid and cost IS a factor). I really do appreciate your input. It has helped me to significantly narrow down the field for the amp and finally pushed me off the fence to get rid of the 115.

Thanks guys!

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Do you like the sound of your 410 using the 400RB?

14. I actually was having a hell of a time getting the nice clean sound that I was looking for (too much distortion and I do not use pedals). I tried everything including disconnecting one cab at a time. I got fed up with it and sold it to a friend of mine. I think that I will go with a simpler head and ditch the 115.

I've narrowed my new head to a Hartke LH500 or the Ampeg PF500 (which I already know how to set up because it is the exact same layout as my Ampeg BA115).