Parallel guitar head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jared Houseman, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    The recent troll thread on using guitar cabs in addition to listening to some royal blood made me think about guitar amps and basses in general.

In particular, parallel guitar amps. Using the guitar amp to add flavor to your tone, not to handle all the low end.

What's amps do you guys like? I know two amps is impractical for gigging but it can fun for recording and can be done easily on some processors like the helix.

Tldr: what are your favorite guitar amps to run parallel with your bass tone/what guitar amps do you use in your helix patches

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Normally I play my bass through a bass amp but I've recorded a split through a crackling Marshall combo, mixed way in the back it sounded pretty cool in my opinion.
    But for what it's worth, this straight up badass legend recorded almost exclusively through a guitar amp.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS9J5Ki__wHjCKR35mucPHmRcbpwH1IiZv8jw&usqp=CAU.jpg
    Good enough for Carol Kaye, I'd say you can get away with it too.

3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I used a blackface Fender Twin loaded with JBL E120s for quite awhile.

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Been messing with the new Barefaced guitar cabs. They do guitar cab stuff.

5. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I once went into the studio using a '72 SVT/810 full-range, and a Plexi/1960A with a 80Hz HPF. Both heads were set to have nice, low-gain breakup at high volume. Once we got the phase right between the two mics, the tone was phenomenal!

Wasnex likes this.
  6. Uche_bass

Uche_bass

Jul 31, 2017
    Argentina
    I know that Diego Arnedo from Divididos uses a couple SVTs and a couple guitar Marshalls, all into SVT 8x10... For live use. Three piece rock band, works wonders