Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

parametric EQ

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    i am looking for a parametric EQ to run mixes trough. The problem, is that I have a very low budget. I am looking for the cheapest, most transparent eq I can find. What do you all use? The budget does allow for mid level gear. Thanks for the input!

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    For mid level, I use a Klark Teknik DN405.

For lower level or live, I use a Rane PE15.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  4. I'm not sure of technical details and I'm not really interested in the engineering aspect, but...

That Avalon is gonna have internal components and an engineering team that are probably worth the 10 times (in price) you see. Additionally, the EQ is gonna be more accurate and won't crap out as quickly when you load it on. IE a -10db cut @ 400Hz is gonna sound more natural on the Avalon than on the Rane, even if it imparts a different sound.

IMO the Avalon would just sound a lot better than the Rane.

I'm not gonna bash the Rane as I'm looking at a couple up for auction right now, but if I had your budget, I would buy both and return the one that has the higher suckage factor.

I do wonder though...why would you run your mixes through an EQ? Unless you're mastering, that is.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I'm attempting mastering. The Avaln is outside the budget right now, maybe next year. I had to buy a car this year and I'm looing at buying a house soon. I really need to a/b a few of these things.

6. grinder

grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    Transparentcy,accuracy,artifacts,noise,quality........

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    -that wasn't the question, the qestion asked about the "way' each does it's job.

I posted it again for you to review.

:meh:

8. i don't know how they achieve what they do, but there are some sweet one's out there. i'm looking to get a nice stereo eq sometime in the near future which will aid during tracking as well as mix time. i'm considering GML, manley massive passive, or the eq from millenia media with the resettable controls. a lot of pro audio guys love the sontecs. i'm not very familiar with the avalon piece though.

9. Blisshead, you know you raise a lot of interesting point regarding recording. I post a lot and actually I am a mod on another board called www.recording.org

You can go to this forum and register and then post these questions straight to Eve Anna Manley, Sebatron and a few others, they will talk with you one on one and offer you good advise!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, thanks I will! I posted it in the producers, engineers, hardware section.

edit: I was already registered there! I just plain forgot! (no, I do not smoke anything, at all.) :rolleyes:

11. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Senior moment?

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Sorry? I don't get it. Maybe your talking soecifically to someone else in the thread though?

13. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sorry, that may have been slightly obscure. I was commenting on your forgetfulness, and as you say if smoking wasn't involved, then maybe it was something else? You've seen the TV ads for the product called "Senior Moments"? It's supposed to be some kind of herbal memory enhancing concoction. Never mind, bad joke. No offense intended. :)

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Never seen the ad, and nope not offended, I really just didn't get it. :)