1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paramore Album

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by remigiozampa, Jul 10, 2014.

1. remigiozampa

remigiozampa

Oct 26, 2011
    Hi Justin
    I must confess that i didn't hear the entire Paramore record until now... I´ve never been a fan of the band but yesterday i had the chance to hear the record in a good control room. Man, it BLEW MY MIND!!
    Congratulations!! Great songs, great production and arrangements, insane drums by Ilan Rubin and great performances from Hayley and the rest of the band.
    The bass tones are amazing and everything else sounds so good.
    Indeed, is worthy hear an album if JMJ is related to it, even if the band are nothing special for you... maybe you can experiment a nice surprise ;-)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Thank you, sir. Most kind.

3. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I must agree. This is the first Paramore album that I can listen to front to back. Great work!

4. I just saw them perform a few days ago. The new songs translate well live too. Much more entertaining (to me for sure) than the older stuff, and it looks like the band has more fun playing them too. Jeremy's tone sounded great too. What is the Fast In My Car chain again? Darkglass into VT? Ye gods is it awesome.

5. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Pretty sure there's an octave pedal in there, too.

6. I'll buy that. I was around earlier for the soundcheck, (working with a band that was on the side stage that day) and when he checked that patch by itself in the mix there were enough overtones to make me stop what I was doing and fist pump.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  7. Hi Justin,

Great job on producing the Paramore album ( the Naked and Famous is also a personal favourite).

I was wondering about the bass and guitar sound and tone on the final track; Future.

I absolutely love the instrumental finale, in all its raw emotion and power. I wish it would go on even longer!

Could you recall what went on gear wise in the recording of the bass and guitar.

Anyway, keep up the good work and inspiration!

Greetings from the Netherlands

8. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Hi groovepooper,
    Thank you! Future: I'm pretty sure it was my 1970 blue line SVT head and cab for the bass, and some nasty-ass pedals, I forget which. The guitar - might have been a combination of Traynor and Laney amps that we had going in tandem, if memory serves.
    Justin

9. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    i just found out Ken Andrews also took part in the producing of the songs... what a cool room to be at that time, nice work Justin

10. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks! But for the record, regarding Ken: he didn't produce anything on the record. He was the mix engineer we hired to do mixing, exclusively.

11. Smurf_Byte

Smurf_Byte

Aug 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    I just borrowed this CD from the library the other day. I was pleaseantly surprised with how good it is. I usually like to mix stuff up, but this album is great just listening to it top to bottom. Congrats on a job well done.

jmjbassplayer and Dan Bozek like this.