1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paranoid?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anesthesia, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Ok i have been reading some threads on here abput hanging basses and treatment of instruments etc etc.

one thing i have noticed is that there are alot of people who are so paranoid about even letting dust fall on their instrument it must remove the fun of playing it.

my bass isnt the highest of quality its not vintage or custom made but i stil respect it thouroughly as i am an apprentice who cant afford custom made or vintage.

i have dropped/knocked over/kicked over my bass you name it its probably happened. 90% of the time it survives with only the most minor cosmetic "damage" and although i dont like it happening i get over it pretty damn quick.

i suppose my point is... get over your obsession with the change in climate in your living room may make the wood swell just a fraction of a millimetre play the damn thing let it wear look after it but dont treat it like a god damn faberge egg.

BASSES ARE MEANT TO BE ENJOYED THAT MEANS PLAY IT, IF IT GETS DAMAGED SUCK IT UP!!!

rant over

2. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    You wouldn't be saying that if you just dropped a grand on a fine tuned music machine, and I imagine you'd be a hell of a lot more careful.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    That's right, go tell them, Anastasia.

4. While I don't own a custom/boutique bass, I've always been in the "just play it" crowd. I figure that dings and scratches are mojo...especially if I'm the one who put em there! My '51 Reissue P just got a nice cymbal ding cause I accidentally ran it into my son's drum set :( It's cool though - like I said - mojo baby!

5. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I compare basses (or any other musical instrument for the matter) to a precission tool; it works great if it's kept in best condition. Meintenance is important, make no mistake about it. Taking care of your musical instrument is mandatory.
    Have fun playing it? Sure! Have fun abusing it? Hell no!

6. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    That has nothing to do with cosmetics. I don't baby my basses much, either, but I do want them to play the best they can. Keeping them adjusted properly doesn't make me a girly-man.

7. i get what your saying but i still dont see the point of being so paranoid about the climate change and other really pointless stuff that you would want to put your bass into its own "micro environment" to paraphrase from a post i read.

this just seems ludicrous to me.

and im not saying have fun abusing it or neglect it and let it deteriorate but beyond adjusting it and cleaning it why be so over protective?

8. +1

IMO you need to keep your bass working mechanically, performing regular maintenance to keep it playing well.

9. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Well the thing about the climate change, obviously, the difference between your living room and a bar down the street will be minimal. But let's say a band is on tour, the sudden climate changes will affect the bass, suddenly you're getting a fret buzz and all sorts of nasty things.

You don't even have to go far, I live in the California Bay Area, there are so many micro climates here the difference between cities is so drastic that is never a bad idea to check your setup.

10. see i understand that, but i have seen people say they worry that the temperature change over the course of a day is enough to make them have a heart attack thats the sort of people i was refering to.

11. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Unless it goes from 40 to 100 (which it occasionally does here), that is a bit excessive. The humidity plays a part in messing with your set up.

12. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    The thing I'm worred about is the body hitting my wall and leaving marks or holes in my drywall or scratches on the body. If I wanted marks on my wall I'd just give my 1 yr old a pen.

13. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Solution.
    IMG_7792.gif

Note Older pic. Elrick has been replaced by a USA Lakland BG PJ, but you get the idea.

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I baby my basses and i dont see how thrashing them about gives me any extra enjoyment. I haven't put a ding into any of my basses yet, and im not planning to start.

15. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    When I moved up to a $3,000 bass I decided to go the full nine and get a $30 guitar stand instead of the usual $10 variety.

[​IMG]

I'm happy with my decision.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My Sadowsky Vintage 4 that I bought new in 2002 ($2800 in 2002) has had all the above mentioned. It's a bass and a tool for making music but I'm not going to tell people how to play and care for their basses that they spent their hard earned money on.

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't see where he says he trashed his basses.

"i have dropped/knocked over/kicked over my bass you name it its probably happened."
    I'm pretty sure that was all accidental as it was in my case.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm reminded of what Victor Wooten once said when I asked him about all the dings in his original Fodera Emperor. He said, "I play the bass. I don't let the bass play me." Which means if you worry about every little ding and scratch to the point of obsession, maybe you're not getting all you can out of your bass when you play it.

19. I've got a SR-5 HH I bought new last year that I never take out of the house cause I'm affraid I'll scratch it. I've got an older SR5-H that's pretty dinged up that take to the bars. I don't know where this puts me in all this. A log of horn players have a nice horn for concert and an old beater for marching band.

20. leftymike

leftymike

Sep 23, 2006
    Austin Tejas
    I keep all of my basses in proper working condition but I am going to hang it on the wall by the neck and not hold back in a live situation when I'm having too much fun. I hate it when I put dings in a bass but it doesn't drive me insane. I'm not a collector, I'm a bass player. But that's no reason to knock someone else for being that way with their stuff.

I have a friend that collects action figures/Matchbox cars etc. I always want to take them out of the packages when I'm at his house (and I'm 34!). He has a hissy anytime I joke about it. Doesn't interest me but it's soley what he spends his extra cash on. More power to him!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021