SOLD Parts Grab Bag 03

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Willicious, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Price:
    Okay, here's my third and final parts grab bag, and this one has a bit of story to go with it.

What we have here is a collection of parts from a single bass. In this case, it's a MIJ 1986 Fender P Bass — their PB-557 model. I bought it new—my first ever P Bass, and my first "real" bass—on November 14, 1986, in a little music store in Springfield, Oregon. When I bought it, she wore Fender MIJ Lake Placid Blue, which as you may know, is FAR from a correct LPB. It's an electrified version of LPB, and looked a lot like the blue on Fender's Steve Harris signature bass. Anyhow, I never liked the LPB, but for some reason, the little music store who ordered this bass for me couldn't get me black or red, either of which would've floated my boat. But this was 1986—so for you youngsters reading this, you walked into your mom and pop music store in Podunk, USA, and you partook of whatever limited options they gave you. So, LPB it was. Needless to say, the shiny blue lasted about three months before I took the body into my high school shop class and removed it. By hand. All of it. With sandpaper. The resulting poly dust sucked every ounce of moisture out of my hands. Then, once down to bare Alder, I gave it a few thin coats of clear gloss poly, and she wore her new natural skin for a couple years, until I cloaked her in candy apple green. Then Chrysler Race Hemi Orange. Then came the satin black arrow / stripe abomination. And somewhere along the line, in that haze of 1980s Olde English 800, Reaganomics, and bass debauchery, she picked up some stickers, and a stenciling of my high school band, The Meat Weezils, on the back. Again: it was the '80s. Don't judge. I've thought many times of a resurrection, but the original maple neck is totally hooped, and I'm just happier these days frankensteining together new Fender P's. So, that's the sordid tale. On to the details of the parts...

• For better or worse, every metal part shown here wears a 30-year-old patina. There's scratches, dust, oxidized nickel/chrome going on. They're not pretty; they're just pretty ratty.

• Body is Alder, I believe. That's what I recall, but the last time I saw her in the buff, it was 1987. She's got 4lbs.–10oz. of gravity in her. Contains numerous extra holes from installation of chrome pickup cover, relocated strap buttons, thumb rest, etc. All could be plugged/dowled, or just slap more stickers on and flog her like a rented mule.

• The pickup has continuity, and meters @ 10.41Ω, but these MIJ pickups were built kind of weird; the pickup lead wires came up through the plastic bobbin, then the actual thin coil wire just wrapped around that lead wire, then they somehow wound the pickup. You could probably just wrap the whole thing in some tape (which they did originally), but I'd recommend going in and installing proper brass grommets / soldering the leads, or at the least, affixing that junction with a blob of epoxy or some other dielectric shmoo to keep it in place. And I'd replace the plastic lead wire with new wire. It's been many years since I last played her, but I remember the pickup produced strong, cutting upper-mids and highs.

Exhibits A—D of my '80s malfeasance:

IMG_3441_zpsmfjmfhek.jpg

IMG_3442_zpsaxxrewsc.jpg

IMG_3440_zpswts9rci3.jpg

IMG_3443_zps6rohh5jp.jpg

All of this crusty '80s carnality can be yours for $89, shipped CONUS via USPS, with insurance and tracking. PayPal payment only. No trades, thanks.

1989.png

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  2. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Great story and p-body! I hope the cat who posted about 80s basses sees this!

Willicious likes this.
  3. This has so much mojo... :wideyed:
    It's almost tempting to buy it just to leave it as-is!

Flad and StayLow like this.
  4. Willicious

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Yep. Slap an AllPart maple neck on her with a clear plexi pickguard and go offend someone with your on-stage presence. drool

Flad and dusterdan like this.
  5. highway

highway

Aug 20, 2008
    i kinda want this o_O

pudge, rojo412 and Flad like this.
  6. ...So whadja' do with the neck????
    I got me a 80s P that is calling for necks...

7. I'll do it. PM'd.

A-Step-Towards likes this.
  8. This era of fender is great and I actually like those pickups a lot, if you still have the original tuning machines and want to sell those id buy them

Willicious likes this.
  9. Willicious

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Yeah, these are great basses, for sure. I'd sell you the original tuners, but I sold them a long time ago.

A-Step-Towards likes this.
  10. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    I wanted this so bad but can't justify having another bass project. If you did buy it, PLEASE post when you put it together. That thing is Mojo-tastic.

leurw likes this.
  11. I'm hunting for a neck now. Trying to decide if I want to hold off for a "correct" 80s MIJ E-series neck or just any old repro that'll work. But yes, I will definitely post a build thread.

12. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    Fantastic. I would lean towards whatever neck is cheap and has some mojo to match the aesthetic, but that's just me. You planning on keeping the stickers on there?

13. Yup, sure am. Essentially, my plan is to rehab the pickups as the OP suggested and get the whole thing put back together and tuned up. I have too many "pretty" basses so I'm digging the idea of having one like this.

Willicious likes this.
  14. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    Awesome! I'm glad it went to someone who is keeping it as is. That's the way it should be.

Willicious likes this.
  15. Salmon1

Salmon1

Jul 28, 2017

16. Salmon1

Salmon1

Jul 28, 2017
    How much for just the Buckwheat sticker?

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021