Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive 5 string, 35" scale???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassic83, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Need recommmendations for a passive 5, with 35" scale. Any ideas? Upcoming sessions require a passive...technique requires 35"...

Help!!!

2. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    The Peavey Grind NTB 5 is a good bass if you're on a budget and don't mind the tight string spacing. Quality control can be a bit spotty though so it's best to be able to play the instrument you're going to buy before laying down the cash.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Lakland Skyline DJ I think ...

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Passive!!!

5. The lakland JO5 and DJ5 are both 35" scale and passive.

6. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    MTD kingston gets my vote.....

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Do you want all passive, as nearly all active basses have a pull pot or switch so they can run in passive as well?

8. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Lakland Joe Osborn 5, best 5er I've had yet.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The DJ5 IS Passive.
    That and the Joe Osborn 5 are both 35" and passive.
    You don't say whether you want a P, a J, soapbars etc.

Also, Roscoe Beck 5 string.

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Actually, this is for a friend of mine in CA...he wants something J-oriented. I found him a Saratoga 5 to look at, and a Kingston Heir 5, I know he doesn't care too much for the Laklands. Finds them "clunky". He plays a couple nice Roscoes, not to be confused with the Roscoe Beck...he's kind of afraid of the RB because of neck issues. He was going to try a Fender USA Jazz five, but it is a 34", and I told him he probably wouldn't like the B on it. Ironically, I actually like the B on the RB5. He was my mentor when I lived out there, I know his style like the back of my hand, I actually sound more like him than anyone, and we share similar tastes in tone.

I didn't realize the JO5 and DJ5 were passive, though. Thanks for the correction on that one.