1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

passive 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderbird90DB, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Thunderbird90DB

Thunderbird90DB

Dec 29, 2008
    Wales
    What i want to know is why isnt there a decent quality budget model 5 string bass thats passive? it really bugs me!

I have an Aria STB-JBDX5 jazz bass 5 string copy and its active, i dont wanna get rid of it but its active and i wish they made a passive version of it!

2. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Squier has a passive 5-string jazz.

Peavey Grind...

3. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Or...

Pull out the preamp and wire a passive 2 volume/2 tone control setup.

It is this one, right?
    stbjbdx5_b.

4. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    Check out the Fender Standard/MIM basses, MTD Kingston series, Peavey Grind series, or Ibanez GSR series. If you can find a used MTD Kingston or Kingston Heir (don't think they make those anymore) you'll be set for years to come. They show up on ebay and musicgoround (.com) fairly often.

good luck!

5. Thunderbird90DB

Thunderbird90DB

Dec 29, 2008
    Wales
    thanks guys! very quick replies :) will check out all basses mentioned! :) thanks for not being sarcastic too, i hate those kind of people!

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Or, just wire it active/passive with a Passive tone control.

Best of both worlds.

7. Thunder-
    I have an OLP Frankenfender that has a passive pickup. Inexpensive but well made; the pickup sounds great. You might check one out if you get a chance.

8. Thunderbird90DB

Thunderbird90DB

Dec 29, 2008
    Wales
    WOW!!! just checked out that MTD! amazing looking bass and i wanted to buy it the moment i saw it! will be restless now!