1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Passive pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by westy1970, Mar 5, 2013.

1. westy1970

westy1970

Jan 31, 2011
    Colorado
    I have a 2010 Fender P Bass Deluxe. I have always used the active pickups and never switched to the passive. (New bass player) I was playing the other day and switched over and I can't hear the bass at all. My inline tuner doesn't even work. I have done no mods to this bass at all. Should I contact Fender about this? What are possible problems? I am asking because I am thinking of selling it to buy a Jazz bass.

2. bakerbass

bakerbass

Apr 9, 2012
    Perhaps you were playing in passive all along, and you've just got a flat battery. Forgive me if this is not what's actually happening, just the first thing that comes to mind.

3. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    My thought as well. I believe the P Bass deluxe has passive pickups, and an active/passive preamp. It doesn't have active pickups. If it makes sound in one preamp mode and not the other first step should be replace the battery and try both modes again.

4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1. That's my guess, too. You've been playing in passive all along. Change the battery and switch to active. :)

5. westy1970

westy1970

Jan 31, 2011
    Colorado
    I'll give it a try. Thanks.

6. westy1970

westy1970

Jan 31, 2011
    Colorado
    Batteries (2) fixed it. Thanks for helping a NUB.

7. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    So, now that you've tried the active mode on that bass what do you think of it? Still thinking of ditching it for a Jazz or has the new sound flexibility changed your opinion of the bass?

8. westy1970

westy1970

Jan 31, 2011
    Colorado
    I really love the p bass sound. It compliments what I play really well. I am just more of a jazz neck kinda guy. It's really a pickle.

9. bakerbass

bakerbass

Apr 9, 2012
    Remember to unplug your cable from the bass when you're not using it (overnight etc). The socket on the bass is a switch for the power to the preamp, and the batteries are being used when it's plugged in.

10. westy1970

westy1970

Jan 31, 2011
    Colorado
    That explains what happened to my two new batteries. :)